Cutting Chanel into MFC Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m going to be making a couple of units out of MFC with painted face panels, the MFC is to make the internal surface hardy for everyday life. I’m looking to add strips of LEDs encased in aluminium track with a diffuser. Just wondering what the best way is of cutting the channels for the aluminium track into the MFC accurately and without any chipping of the MFC edge.
I have a table saw with a scribing blade which is a possibility, or a router (not my favourite tool for anyone who has seen my threads, but not sure what type of bit is best?), I have a spindle with adjuster groovers which is another solution, or something else??

The aluminium track I used has lips on both sides and therefore covers the cut edge. Think this is pretty standard. I used a router with a standard 2 flute cutter. No problems what so ever. Personally I would use the router as I think you have more control of the cuts. It also allows you to easily stop before the end of the piece so that the cut for the channel is not visible if you can see end on

A router is the correct tool.

use a brand new bit (I use erbauer bits from screwfix where I can - dead cheap and really sharp)

I recommend drilling a hole about where you want to start and finish - as the router bit won’t like taking a full end cut through the melamine.

when cutting a stopped groove, it’s easiest to plunge the full depth at start and finish first. One tip on this- plunge about 6mm away from the end line, go in a few mm then come up, move back close to the end then plunge - then repeat, taking nibbles at each location until full depth. Taking a part cut is very much easier when drilling down, especially so on hardwoods.

The aluminium track I used has lips on both sides and therefore covers the cut edge. Think this is pretty standard. I used a router with a standard 2 flute cutter. No problems what so ever. Personally I would use the router as I think you have more control of the cuts. It also allows you to easily stop before the end of the piece so that the cut for the channel is not visible if you can see end on
May I ask which aluminium channel you use?

Back