Cutting 50 degree angle.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve a garden gate to make and went to fit the posts today and have a slight problem.

Theres the house wall where I’m going hinge it to and it swings to meet a garden wall, however to square up the 2 posts for closing the angle is 50 degrees as it meets the house wall at this different angle and my Dewalt only tilts to 45 degrees.

Any ideas on how to cut this 50 degree angle down the full length of the post (6 feet), or alternatively is there any other way to fix this post to the wall as it has me beat therefore any suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks.

Can't quite picture it, but isn't 50 degrees measured off one face of the bit you want equivalent to 40 degrees taken from the opposite face of the bit you will discard? Or is it.... Hmmm.

Could you cut a 25 degree wedge on some scrap, temporarily attach to post then run it through again? or am I imagining something completely wrong.

Use the complementary angle, i.e., tilt the blade to 40º. Alternatively raise the corner of the piece furthest away from the saw's fence to raise the bottom face of the piece you're ripping by 5º, tilt the blade to 45º and cut. You can use other numbers, e.g., lift up the bottom face of the piece by 10º and tilt the sawblade to 40º.

To tilt the wood make either a full length wedge piece, or a full length narrow and thin strip of wood that lifts the corner of the post(s) you're cutting to create your preferred angle, e.g., 5º or 10º. Tack or glue the 'lifting' piece in place and remove after you're done. Slainte.

Not sure if cutting that much off a post is a good idea. I assume that the post is treated but even so there will be less of the chemicals in the middle.

Why not cut some wedges from treated 2x4 or post off cuts. Bolt those to the wall then screw the post to them. Then put a cover strip over to hide with a similar smaller strip on the other post so they match.

All good ideas, I’ve got all weekend to mull over them and decide what to do, must admit the wedge idea seems the simplest way so far and thanks again for your thoughts and ideas, it’s appreciated.

I’m not good with angles but can you cut back of post at 45deg and the cut the front at 5deg giving you 50 deg in total -then if the cut is not the exact angle you require then a little planing to complete the task .a couple of coats of preserver on the cut sides to add extra protection and your away .

Packing out the gap with suitable shims/wedges would be not only easier, but allow fone adjustments.

Then cover area with treated length of timber, prior to painting or staining.

Packing out the gap with suitable shims/wedges would be not only easier, but allow fone adjustments.

Then cover area with treated length of timber, prior to painting or staining.

Yes, having re-read the original post the gate is being made so its not about getting a specific width for it to hang in. I would certainly use wedges twixt post and wall, just cut a few and tap them in, then with the post almost tight you can adjust by tapping in some more.

Covering with a strip would be fine, or depending on where you see it from (if its only from inside perhaps) leave the interwedgial gaps open - is intewedgial a word? almost certainly not but it shoud be -and give yourself a gold star for building a winter home for hoverflies, spiders, solitary bees and suchlike.

I think I would rip a 2x4 on an angle and screw and glue it to the post. One long wedge. Bandsaw would be easiest but simple enough on a tabe saw or a quick sled for the thicknesser. No gaps and no need for cover strips.

Pete

Back