CS & Guide or Table Saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake
I understand you being puzzled from that picture so when I get the chance I will take a pic of my saw with the plate on it.

It will not be today as SWMBO has taken the kids out with the camera ( I should be getting my new one soon :D )
I should be able to do it tomorrow :)

Dave,

The Hitachi CS you were referring to, is it this one:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/9/product-Hitachi-C9U2-Circular-Saw-in-Case-461626.htm

202248_l.jpg

I was also thinking about the Makita CS:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/13/product-Makita-5903RK-Circular-Saw-22635.htm

MAK5903RK_xl.jpg

I had a 7 1/4 inch Hitachi before which was nice, but i've heard that Makita or quieter and smoother?

I have the 7 1/4" version of the Makita and I think it is a great saw. It would be more than powerful enough for any panel work you do with any of the guide rail systems. I use mine with a home-made version of the guide rail (the factory edge from a sheet of 18 mm ply on a 6 mm base) and get fairly clean cuts, though not up to Festool standards. I also have a 9 1/4" Triton saw mounted in my Workcentre 2000. It is a bit of a beast and I don't think I'd like to spend a whole day (or even an hour) using it hand-held. I know the guide rails help control the saw and working on a sacrificial table supports the weight, but even so if it is primarily for cutting sheet goods I'd opt for the smaller saw.

davejester":1jckbemf said:
The mafell has a retractable riving knife which means you can do plunge cuts. The only annoying thing is that you can't set a depth stop for plunging. Not sure if the festool has this.

Dave

Yes...in 1mm iincrements...rock solid and consistent :D

mrbingley":38febech said:
How much does the 100" EZ guide system cost in English £s inc VAT & del ?

If there are a few people interested in buying the EZ guide, it may be worth setting up a group buy. One of the car forums I'm a member of get some pretty good discounts when a few people get together. Even if it saves on the delivery, it may be worth it.

I may well be interested depending on price.

I realize I'm coming in very late to this discussion, but FWIW I have the Festool and wouldn't be wthout it for sheet goods work. Much better than using a tablesaw.

I also have a basic tablesaw, much better for timber.

The problem with the Festool, Mafell or any other saw & track system is the one of repeatabitlty, so you really need to have read last month's Good Woodworking, and then you don't have a problem at all :)

I can't speak for Mafell or EZ, they may be excellent (I have a Mafell BJ and it is superb) but I can't believe anyone would buy a Festool and be disappointed.

Hi Neil
If you are talking about the distributor that is on the EZ site, he no longer does EZ products.

So at the moment the only way is from the US :)
Ps There is a 10-20% discount at the moment ( everyone's favourite word SALE :) ) but you might need to email him :wink:

I spoke to the chap from Wood Workers Workshop today to talk about the EZ system, and he was saying to me that were better of ordering direct, but he wasn't happy with the quality of the some of the items lately and wasn't overly impressed.

So after a long chat, i've decided to completely change my mind and go for the festool ts55 system instead, which i'm pleased about because I was looking for ways to use the TS55 with the EZ because it's such a great saw, and now I get to enjoy all the benefits of the festool system.

I have just agreed an distributor license for the EZ system in the UK.

I will be ordering in stock over the next few weeks and I am currently
awaiting the demo kit.

he wasn't happy with the quality of the some of the items lately and wasn't overly impressed.

There is nothing wrong with the quality of the product, on the contrary it is extremely well engineered for the money.

I will be launching the UK service and prices in due course, and am considering offering the kits complete with a saw as well (we'll see).

In the meantime anyone has any questions, please let me know.

I was looking for ways to use the TS55 with the EZ because it's such a great saw

You can use the saw with the EZ system, and benefit from all the other advantages that the EZ system offers as well - not the least of which is cost and support.

Hi Byron,
Before you listern to the guy at Wood Workers Workshop, I would agree with pewe as to how well EZ is made and I think he has a problem with Dino.
He also try to talk me out of getting the EZ system.

Has he used the system him self and what parts was he not happy with, are some of the questions I would like to ask him for a start, because if you look at the US forum, you will see that if there is a problem with any part, Dino will replace the part with no problem.

I am very happy with the build of it and you should ask what we think about it, I am not saying that you should not get the festool system but give both a fare shake :)

having one of the mafell saws with the flexible track which rolls up into
the systainer type box i am a bit confused by some of the comments.

i have the ksp40 which will cut kitchen worktops up to 40mm, and i can fix the plunge depth from 1mm to 40 with a sensible big lever.
the angle capability is also good to 45 degrees, the guard is good, and the riving knife valuable.

as i understand it you cannot fix the plunge depth of a festo, so you need to be alongside it more than say my mafell.

the track has a rubber fixing, and also the ability to operate at 45 degrees
there are also clamps.

there is also a later machine which offers the ability to cut up to 16 inches
wide at right angles.

mafell are nice. quiet and powerful machines which offer many advantages
and i do think they are worth the premium, although some features are not as good as festo.

paul :wink:

Newbie_Neil":x14qa515 said:
There is already a distributor in the UK, I don't think he'd be too happy.

I would prefer to deal with a UK based company. However, my experience over the years has been that on pricing, UK importers change the $ to £ and then add VAT and delivery. (Pewe, please prove me wrong).

I have no knowledge of the prices the UK dealer is (was) charging for the EZ system. Based on previous experience, I thought there may be a bargain out there for anyone interested in clubbing together.

engineer one":1zwgli2e said:
as i understand it you cannot fix the plunge depth of a festo

No, Paul, that is incorrect. The depth is set in 1mm increments with a lever. It's easy and precise. If using it on the track though, you do have to remember to add 6mm for the thickness of the track itself.

sorry steve, sure you are right, but what i should have said is that
you have to hold it down at that depth, or at least that was what
i had thought i was told. happy to be told i misheard.

paul :wink:

ps the chest of drawers article was good

The price I was quoted for the EZ system was £175 for the SGS-1 Kit - expensive in my opinion compared to the US Value. Once I add a good saw, invariabley a saw that wouldn't be as good as the Festool, i'm coming up to the cost of the festool kit.

With regards the quality, basically what the guy was saying to me was that some of the aluminium extrusion he was being sent wasn't anodised, and there's been a few problems with it. And he has used the system.

IMO he was far from negative towards Dino, in-fact he was saying to me what a nice guy and how well he supports he's customers, so I think what he was saying was relatively impartial.

Don't get me wrong, i've spent the best part of a couple of weeks researching the two systems, and the EZ is amazing with what you can do with it. BUT having time to think about it, for me the support of a large company, 3 year warrenty, bigger customer base, and tight system integration (dust extraction, table, accessories, systainer etc) makes the Festool a better choice for me.

I would prefer to deal with a larger company on this side of the atlantic, if something happened to Dino - who would handle the customer support and product returns/queries? After sales support is an important consideration for a tool of this value.

Colin - I have asked yourself and other EZ users on this forum, and I was convinced it was the right product for me, so don't feel offended if i've changed my mind, I still take into consideration your view's, but based on the reasons above is why i'm going to go with the Ts55.

Hi Byron
If I sounded offended, then I was not clear :oops: .

I was that you where saying you where going to get it but seemed to change your mind just after talking to one person that all.

It is your choice and your money so if you are getting the festool, then I am sure you will be happy with it :)

Back