Couple of small bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd share a a couple of pictures of some small bowls I have made from offcuts I have had laying about. The top pic is elm and the lower sycamore. The banding is cut in, burned with a wire and coloured with spirit stain. These are both around 5" wide.

smallbowlgroup027.jpg

smallbowlgroup014.jpg

There's more on my blog if anyones interested.

Nice bowls - could be that preferences expressed are influenced by odd and even numbers of bands. Odd numbers are are usually preferred.
Phil

Hi Johnny,

The grain showing thru on the Elm, although a nice bowl - is ruining it for me,

The bottom one is lovely though

Now this is just my opinion, but i think on these two, if all the beads were identical - they would be 100% better, and maybe slope the rim inwards ?

Thanks for all the comments! These little bowls were great fun to make and the coloured bands just cheer them up a bit :wink:
Loz, I thought the grain showing through was a nice effect! :lol:

Philip Streeting":2ulls9vm said:
Nice bowls - could be that preferences expressed are influenced by odd and even numbers of bands. Odd numbers are are usually preferred.
Phil

Phil , I understand how the human brain perceives an odd number as better looking but if I were to be completely honest, it was a case of slipping with the brush and going over the edge and needing to put in an extra band :oops:

Hi Johnny,

Both look good but in my opinion the form of the second one is cleaner.

Its all a matter of personal taste, the execution is good in both.

Regards,

mikec

Thanks Mike :D These little bowls sold well at a craft fair I did Sunday, funy to think they were just offcuts I would have just burned 99% of the time!

Latest posts

Back