Spindle Wobble - Charnwood W812

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I received my new chuck and I promptly got it mounted on the lathe. I've turned a couple of items with it, one being a small jewellery box and the other a smallish bowl around 5" high. One thing that has become obvious is that there's a wobble/oscillation going on and it's been made more apparent when I flipped the bowl around so that the wider end was pointing towards the tailstock.

The Wobble is also there with the spigot installed, it's just not as obvious as it is with the chuck fitted. There doesn't seem to be any free play in the headstock spindle, it's rock solid and I can't move it up or down, even sightly.

Here's a bit of video from this afternoon, any ideas on a solution are gratefully appreciated.

Looks a very slender spindle for that large chuck and the weight of what you might turn in it. It's bent already, as Stigmorgan said.
I had similar prob years ago over-working the outboard end and it simply snapped off.
It's probably going the same way - you need a bigger lathe?

Looks a very slender spindle for that large chuck and the weight of what you might turn in it. It's bent already, as Stigmorgan said.
I had similar prob years ago over-working the outboard end and it simply snapped off.
It's probably going the same way - you need a bigger lathe?
Thanks Jacob, it's a Record Power SC4 with the 50mm jaws. I don't think it's considered to be a large chuck? :unsure:
Having said that, I'm very much a beginner with woodturning.

Thanks Jacob, it's a Record Power SC4 with the 50mm jaws. I don't think it's considered to be a large chuck? :unsure:
Having said that, I'm very much a beginner with woodturning.
Small lathe? It just looks like a small diameter spindle in comparison to the chuck. Just guessing -it looks bent and could have a crack in it, most likely just at the back of the thread.

Last edited:
First things first, did you have a go , i.e cleaning and multiple attempts
at getting the drive spur to seat into the MT without runout?

I've got one of those lathes, and never noticed issues with this,
I bought a nice steb centre for mine for very little, a site suggested here before.
That may be why.

I haven't got a chuck for mine, but did turn a disc once.
Have you got the large faceplate to see if its the spindle?

The section showing the chuck appears to show the chuck running true but the jaws running off so I would check the chuck with a dial gauge to confirm if it's running true or not. If you have a faceplate, you can do the same with that to confirm if there is some run-out that it's present on all accessories attached to the spinde, in which case it's probably a bent spindle. If not, it might just be inaccuracies in the chuck.

For the drive centre, try rotating it in the spindle to see if the high point stays with the spindle or moves with the centre.

The section showing the chuck appears to show the chuck running true but the jaws running off

Certainly worth a check before assuming it's the spindle. Coincidentally, yesterday I watched a Record Power video on chuck cleaning and maintenance and at the end they talked about the "proper" way to mount the jaws for best accuracy. It's blindingly obvious, but I've been turning for over 2 years and hadn't seen it so others might not have.

Mount the jaws, screws snug but not fully tightened. Close the chuck up so the jaws touch and form a circle and only then fully tighten the mounting screws.

See if it helps.

Thanks all. I'll double check the jaws today, I'm sure I put them on in the right order though.
I don't have a dual guage but I do have a faceplate that came with the lathe, I'll put that on and see how if runs.

Edit: Richard, just read your reply and I'll try that too. (y)

If you have a dial gauge put it on the register of the spindle, the bit that has no threads. If you get no runout then its not the spindle. If when you put the chuck on you get runout on the body of the chuck then its the chuck been machined wrong.
That drive looks a bit battered, if you can get a new one to test the morse taper

You can get a dial type indicator with base from Amazon for about £20, for a quick bodge to check the spindle as Wallace suggested without a DTI, take a length of straightened wire coat hanger, wedge it in the toolpost banjo so that it rubs on the unthreaded part of the spindle and sticks up well above the lathe, turn the spindle by hand and watch the top of the wire, if it waves a lot you've got a bent spindle

The spindle is bent. Put the mouse cursor on the taper where it comes out of the shaft and you can easily see it oscillating. You can still turn if the turning can be made in one go. If you remove and remount a turning to complete the other end it will never be centred. You will need to decide it it is worth finding a replacement shaft or having a new one made for it. I doubt it can be straightened but you/someone can try if you have the right equipment (press for example) and skills.

Pete

Pete, that was what showed up the problem, I turned a bowl around and it was way off.

I removed the spindle today and held it up against an engineer's square as best as I could, I couldn't 100% say that there was a noticeable bend although I thought there was a couple of times but I'm just not sure. 

I put the faceplate on and took some more video, there is wobble, just not as obvious as it is with the chuck.

20221204_124532.jpg

Pete, that was what showed up the problem, I turned a bowl around and it was way off.

I removed the spindle today and held it up against an engineer's square as best as I could, I couldn't 100% say that there was a noticeable bend although I thought there was a couple of times but I'm just not sure. 

I put the faceplate on and took some more video, there is wobble, just not as obvious as it is with the chuck.

View attachment 148522

Yes you can see the wobble. Almost certainly bent at the thinnest bit just behind the end of the thread. I'd guess an incipient crack. New spindle?

Yes you can see the wobble. Almost certainly bent at the thinnest bit just behind the end of the thread. I'd guess an incipient crack. New spindle?
I've just emailed Charnwood asking for a price of a new spindle, hopefully I'll get a reply tomorrow. (y)

Seems the faceplate bottoms out on the spindle, I've only used mine once.

I think it would certainly be worth inspecting using some permanent marker and rubbing faces together, i.e cinch the thread home, to see if something becomes obvious, and possibly
bodge facing the end of the spindle with a fixed rigid tool clamped down well and not held freehand, however you do it, might be worth a shot.

As your likely familiar with these lathes come under plenty of brand names,
(even the harbor frieght, though those have a different thread)
and you may have read to be very wary of those pulleys as they are made from galvanic cheese.

Tom

I've just emailed Charnwood asking for a price of a new spindle, hopefully I'll get a reply tomorrow. (y)
I think I'm out of luck, Charnwood (who have been very helpful) have sent me a pic of the spindle for the 813 model and it looks to be different. Hey ho.

20221208_085800.jpg

Back