Spindle Wobble - Charnwood W812

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully (y)

I suppose that as long as the bearing locations and the diameter on the new spindle match up with mine, I might be in luck.
I've just sent another email and attached a photo with various dimensions. Fingers crossed.

An interesting discussion, guys. But a bit mystifying to someone like me with very little mechanical/ engineering knowledge. What’s a ‘dial type indicator’ and how do you use one?
D.

The dial indicator gauge is a way to measure small amounts of linear displacement. They can be used with a magnetic base and generally give a read out in either thousandths of an inch or hundredths of a millimeter.

Thanks, Paul.
Does it have to be mechanically held? It seems to me that it wouldn’t be possible to hold it by hand if it is to measure thousands of an inch. Natural tremor would interfere with measurements so fine.
D

An interesting discussion, guys. But a bit mystifying to someone like me with very little mechanical/ engineering knowledge. What’s a ‘dial type indicator’ and how do you use one?
D.
TDI (Test Dial Indicator).jpg

The arm sticking out of the dial is spring loaded. When pressed against rotating work any out of round is transferred to the dial.

So, as mentioned I sent a photo of my spindle to Dave at Charnwood and he has taken the trouble to check the dimensions on the new spindle which is made for the W813 lathe, the bearing locations and sizes all seem to match up with mine. The 813 spindle is longer as it's made to accommodate a handle wheel which my lathe didn't have.

The new spindle has arrived today, plus the handle (thought I may as well get one) and also a spanner to fit the larger M33 x3.5mm thread. I've ordered an M33 x 3.5mm chuck adapter too, hopefully that'll be here by Monday.

With this new spindle, the outside face of a bearing will be exposed, it's how the 813 model is too. Hoping that won't cause any issues in the future?

All being well, the spindle will fit when I tackle it tomorrow.

20221210_162358.jpg

Good news, the Charnwood W813 spindle (and hand wheel) does fit my W812 lathe.

It would have been a much quicker job if it hadn't of been for the inner bearing washer that fits behind a circlip. The washer was a little too thick to allow the circlip to seat into the groove, after much time spent filing/sanding and maybe a bit of cursing it's done.

I've just ordered a 2MT crown drive as my 4 pronged drive centre is too small for the new spindle, I've also just realised that my current knockout bar is now too short! :oops:

I can't test out my chuck yet as I'm waiting for the M33 x3.5mm insert to arrive.

20221211_142716.jpg

20221211_142722.jpg

Back