Coronet Consort chuck recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, not wishing to contradict anyone elses advice but your Coronet Consort will have a 3/4 x 16 spindle thread. It is the same bearing and spindle as used on the earlier Coronet Minor and Elf.

Regarding the chuck options, a record RP2000 would be ideal. It will cope with the capacities that the machine allows while putting minimum strain on the spindle and bearing. It is also available ready machined with a 3/4 x 16 thread.

I hope this helps

If Adrspach's machine is a Consort then the threads are likely to be 3/4" x 16 UNF. It was only some of the older red Majors that had 7/8" x16 threads.

The 3/4" x 16 taps that I used (& still have) to make adaptors to fit my old lathe are UNF

Coronet owners might be interested in the Bolyen Workshop website.
Consort page - BoleynWorkshop

On the red Majors, the 7/8 x 16TPI, does anyone know whether that is a Whitworth or UNF threadform?
Thanks,
Rupert

On the red Majors, the 7/8 x 16TPI, does anyone know whether that is a Whitworth or UNF threadform?
Thanks,
Rupert
7/8 OD and 16 TPI matches neither of these standardised threads. Trying to find this out mysef! Looks like maybe UNS.

Last edited:
Hi - I am an ardent Coronet user and restorer in Sunbury. I am currently using a Coronet Major MkII I have restored with all the trimmings/add-ons. For the purposes of this post I am assuming that your Consort has a headstock spindle with a 7/8ths x 16TPI thread on it.
I too had the quandary of fitting a suitable chuck to my Major; after taking advice from a few other users I settled on the Axminster Club SK100, but if you can afford the heavier version (SK114) go for that. You will need an adaptor to go from Female 7/8th" x 16TPI down to Male 3/4" 16TPI. I manged to obtain a nice brass job from a guy on EBay, and it all works fine as long you make sure everything is really well tightened on the headstock spindle - if you don't and there is any movement, you will end up with off-centre bowls; interesting but annoying (esp. if you're making boxes). You can see the set up in the attached pic (I hope). Ignore the steel washers you can see between the fittView attachment 91381ings- that's another story!
I chose the Axminster mainly because it's actually made at their factory in Devon, and beautifully made at that. Most other makes (I fear) tend to be imported from China (despite claims to the contrary sometimes) and are frankly not as accurate in manufacture. The range of Axminster jaws available is substantial (Jaws for Axminster 100mm Chucks - Chuck Jaws - Woodturning Chucks - Lathe Accessories - Machinery Accessories - Accessories | Axminster Tools), although a tad pricey in some cases. Worth it though if you can afford it.
Hope this helps.
Dont suppose you have the details of the Ebay machinist?

Back