Record power chuck shortages

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just setup my new lathe and looking forward to starting to turn again once this cold snap is over. I have only just started to look at getting a chuck to fit my lathe as my supernova 2 chuck does not have a thread suitable (M33 x 3.5 - Axminster lathe AT350WL).

If I was a rich man I would go for one of the Axminster chucks but the only ones I think you can run in reverse on my lathe are the Evolution ones with reverse locking - £259!!!!!

So my other thoughts are to go down either SC3 or SC4 route - both I think you can lock the chucks (in my thread size) and come in at just over £100 which will be fine for my needs.

Hopefully Record get their stock issues sorted soon : )

Doesn't help if you have a Yandles voucher, but otherwise it looks like you you can order direct from recordpower.co.uk. I just put an SC3 in the basket and it didn't say out of stock, didn't follow through to delivery date though since I already have one.

DJ Evans in Bury St Edmunds might be worth a phone call. I've had the odd Record Power item from them, they are a record power dealer but hide it very well behind being a builders merchants. Being hard to find might mean they do have some stock.

I got the SC3 starter set and am happy with it. Bought 3 more jaw sets since, 9mm pin (not pen) for a particular type of job, the small coles jaws and the 35mm standard set (the starter kit comes with 50mm). The 35mm gets used the most by far for the things I do.

You can run the Axminster SK100 in reverse as it has three grub screws to secure it to the spindle. I run in reverse quite often and have never had any problems.

Dave

You can run the Axminster SK100 in reverse as it has three grub screws to secure it to the spindle. I run in reverse quite often and have never had any problems.

Dave
I have submitted a question to Axminster on this, as the user guide says that you should not.

Also the record system seems to be cheaper overall (probably not British made) - The SK100 package is still just shy of £190 and the jaws all seem to be a bit more than the record equivalent.

Last edited:
Maybe Just leave it in, and get the one above,. Depends which Supernova2 version you have, I think early ones had 1 1/2" BSW thread.

Maybe Just leave it in, and get the one above,. Depends which Supernova2 version you have, I think early ones had 1 1/2" BSW thread.

I think you're right, I measured the insert this morning and it was about 1 1/2" - I will let you know how I get on. At least if I get the nova working again I will have a back up chuck as well if I choose to get a new one : )

DJ Evans in Bury St Edmunds might be worth a phone call. I've had the odd Record Power item from them, they are a record power dealer but hide it very well behind being a builders merchants. Being hard to find might mean they do have some stock.
They charge more for RP items than RP sell them for, e.g they're asking £129 for the £99 SC3!

I have ordered the insert now, the only thing I was wondering now, is if the insert is hollow or not. It would be ideal if it was, as I could use pin jaws and be able to use thinner bits through the headstock.

For information, I had confirmation that the adaptor from Record is hollow - which is great news for me : )

My situation was similar. I needed new chucks. Had an old 3/4-16" lathe and added a smaller one with M33 spindle. I was using both Axminster SK100 and Record sc3 and sc4 chucks so had good familiarity with both makes. I settled on sc4 with insert for the new lathe allowing interchanging. Initially I bought a dedicated (m33) SK100 but returned it. The jaws that came with it were so badly made they were unusable. (pics attached) Sad to see a company with a good reputation going downhill. Record seem to be doing the reverse. Also purchased the 3/4-m33 adapter mentioned above. Hollow and works well.

Attachments

• DSC04336.JPG
    DSC04336.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC04340.JPG
    DSC04340.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC04341.JPG
    DSC04341.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 14
I might return the adaptor. I tried it this morning with my Nova Chuck on. It vibrated even with no wood attached and did not feel very safe.

I am wondering with the two adaptors it makes the Nova too heavy. On the box it says it's for the rp2000 chuck which is smaller than my one, I don't think it highlighted this on the website :(

Last edited:
I might return the adaptor. I tried it this morning with my Nova Chuck on. It vibrated even with no wood attached and did not feel very safe.

I am wondering with the two adaptors it makes the Nova too heavy. On the box it says it's for the rp2000 chuck which is smaller than my one, I don't think it highlighted this on the website :(
Did both the adapter and the chuck sit tight up to the registration faces? I never had a problem using one on my Supernova2.
You may have tried this, but try just fitting adapter to spindle, tighten it up, run lathe and see if thats OK.
The adapter face needs to sit tight up to registration face
Then add chuck, does chuck tighten onto face of adapter, if there is a gap, even tiny, this could be the issue, chuck needs to be tight to face!
Is it possible that chuck thread insert is worn?

Did both the adapter and the chuck sit tight up to the registration faces? I never had a problem using one on my Supernova2.
You may have tried this, but try just fitting adapter to spindle, tighten it up, run lathe and see if thats OK.
The adapter face needs to sit tight up to registration face
Then add chuck, does chuck tighten onto face of adapter, if there is a gap, even tiny, this could be the issue, chuck needs to be tight to face!
Is it possible that chuck thread insert is worn?

I double checked and gave it a good tighten - seems to work better now. Still not 100% comfortable with it, three lumps of metal spinning at high speed rather than just one - Might just go for the SC3 and the direct connection and sell this one on.

Although Record charge a huge amount for carriage they do seem to have stock now.

Check dm tools, they have free carriage over £99 normally.

Back