Chuck advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris4658

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a coronet major with the 3/4” 16tpi thread. I’m looking to purchase a record Chuck to use on it. Turning mostly bowls. What would be the best chuck between the record power sc3 or sc4 package and why?
thanks in advance

The Record SC3 is hollow bodied whereas the SC4 is solid. If you look at the back of each you can see the difference
SC3 - Record Power Chuck SC3 Package
SC4 - Record Power SC4 Professional Geared Scroll Chuck Package
Although the SC3 is a good chuck (I have one) I'm not a fan of the chuck key which has to be aligned fairly accurately for it to engage. The hexagonal allen key shape is much easier to use.

My chuck summary
- Woodturning Chucks - Some info for those new to the hobby
&
Nova G3 vs Record Power SC3 -

The other major advantage of the SC4 is the thread insert can be changed if you update to a more modern lathe/thread standard. For the different in cost its a no brainer!

The Record SC3 is hollow bodied whereas the SC4 is solid. If you look at the back of each you can see the difference
SC3 - Record Power Chuck SC3 Package
SC4 - Record Power SC4 Professional Geared Scroll Chuck Package
Although the SC3 is a good chuck (I have one) I'm not a fan of the chuck key which has to be aligned fairly accurately for it to engage. The hexagonal allen key shape is much easier to use.

My chuck summary
- Woodturning Chucks - Some info for those new to the hobby
&
Nova G3 vs Record Power SC3 -

Thanks for answering the question I hadn't yet asked. I have an SC4 and was wondering whether to get a second or supplement it with an SC3. I didn't much like the idea of two different chuck keys so your comment has helped nudge me in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back