Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lurker":1oe3nyv1 said:
Transatlantic,
I very much doubt a games studio (please enlighten me as to what this is) deal with classified information.

You’d be surprised, if you’re working on a top secret large-scale project you really don’t want any information getting out about the plot, etc... just like movies and TV.

If anything the gaming industry has stronger secrecy than our government :lol:

lurker":2m7gibyw said:
Transatlantic,
I very much doubt a games studio (please enlighten me as to what this is) deal with classified information.

So we jumped from sensitive information (which is what I replied to) straight to classified information?

transatlantic":20dxng2h said:
lurker":20dxng2h said:
Transatlantic,

So we jumped from sensitive information (which is what I replied to) straight to classified information?

So far as people working from home are concerned, and their employers, the distinction is meaningless. Of course, the distinction may be important for the country as a whole.

I was with my buddy on Monday morning for coffee and cake (and a bit of show-and-tell.......workshop stuff). Spent a couple of hours within a couple of metres of him at his house. Tuesday morning first thing he rang me to say he had a temperature, lethargy, and the start of a cough. I've just spoken to his wife, and they're as certain as they can be that he's got it. He's in bed with a fever, cough, lethargy, and a big headache. I guess there's half a chance I won't be posting quite so many photos as I was expecting in the next week or two.

MikeG.":36ha6uco said:
I was with my buddy on Monday morning for coffee and cake (and a bit of show-and-tell.......workshop stuff). Spent a couple of hours within a couple of metres of him at his house. Tuesday morning first thing he rang me to say he had a temperature, lethargy, and the start of a cough. I've just spoken to his wife, and they're as certain as they can be that he's got it. He's in bed with a fever, cough, lethargy, and a big headache. I guess there's half a chance I won't be posting quite so many photos as I was expecting in the next week or two.

Try a pint of cow urine mixed with 37 garlic gloves, blended.

MikeG.":k4e5q2yx said:
Oh no! Hope you will be OK Mike. You may be lucky and either not been infected, or be one of the people that gets mild symptoms. Take care!!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yup, 2nd that. MikeG. "Just take care", and statistically anyway, it seems that the chances are better than 4:1(?) that IF you get it at all, it'll be "mild". Fingers X'd anyway.

Thanks guys. As soon as I heard of him being ill I found myself imagining I could feel all sorts of symptoms developing. "That cough, it's not the workshop dust, it must be the virus......" and "have I got a headache coming on?" We'll see, I guess.

Selwyn":s7dsz92r said:
Do you want to sell that planer thicknesser first mikeg?

:lol: :lol: =D> =D> Awesome!

No, you lot can keep your greedy mits off my tools for a while yet. And as for my bikes.........go whistle.

transatlantic":2qf1k549 said:
I work for a Games Studio, we'll soon be working from home over a "domestic internet connection". It can be done provided you have suitable security in place.

Rorschach":2qf1k549 said:
So yes, the ones who can work from home are not really doing anything useful at all.

:?: :roll: :roll:

Not everyone working from home is useless obviously, but in her case it seems they are.

They might indeed be able to do things with the correct security but it isn't in place and isn't going to be in place anytime soon if it is even possible or sensible to do so. What they use is on a secure intranet system that is purposely not able to be accessed from outside. I can't tell you what it is she does but I can assure you that you would not want that information being compromised.

TN, regarding the actual number of deaths I would go further. Coronavirus itself won't kill anyone. There are very few (medical) things in this world that kill us outright on their own, like a heart attack for instance. From what I have seen on the news it is pneumonia that is killing people, but CV is the catalyst. It's the same with a lot of cancers, the cancer itself doesn't kill you, some other infection gets you that weakens something else that eventually causes your death.

All the people that have died so far have been in a vulnerable state it seems, so they would have died of something fairly soon anyway, CV or not.

A friend of mine is in hospital, his ward has just got CV and a chap next to him has tested positive. CV will likely kill him, but he was going to die in the next few months of terminal cancer anyway. Be interesting how many others would also have died in the next year for instance if they ha not caught CV. Of course we will never know.

Irish Rover":30i2yexl said:
I believe it was decided in the COBRA meeting, but not announced yet, that our schools will close next Friday, the week before Easter.

Patrick Vallance is a distant relative of mine and that has come down the family grapevine.

Irish Rover":30i2yexl said:
That would work":30i2yexl said:
Oh dear. More hearsay nonsense!!!!!
Ha ha government policy surfaces on woodworking forum ... brilliant =D>

Time will tell...

I Theng Yaaaw!

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... e-17941662

Try to be a little less disrespectful in future son. You just end up looking silly.

Rorschach":1maj50tz said:
TN, regarding the actual number of deaths I would go further. Coronavirus itself won't kill anyone. There are very few (medical) things in this world that kill us outright on their own, like a heart attack for instance. From what I have seen on the news it is pneumonia that is killing people, but CV is the catalyst. It's the same with a lot of cancers, the cancer itself doesn't kill you, some other infection gets you that weakens something else that eventually causes your death.

All the people that have died so far have been in a vulnerable state it seems, so they would have died of something fairly soon anyway, CV or not.

A friend of mine is in hospital, his ward has just got CV and a chap next to him has tested positive. CV will likely kill him, but he was going to die in the next few months of terminal cancer anyway. Be interesting how many others would also have died in the next year for instance if they ha not caught CV. Of course we will never know.

Theoretically, we will know, but only after the event. Influenza deaths are just the same - i.e. It's never the flu that gets you, it's something else. They work out flu deaths by looking at "excess seasonal mortality" (https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... o2017final) which is a purely statistical.

The interesting thing is going to be whether or not this new virus actually shows up in the statistics, or is swamped by the background noise.

"The number of excess winter deaths in England and Wales in 2017 to 2018 was the highest recorded since the winter of 1975 to 1976. However, peaks like these are not unusual – we have seen more than eight peaks during the last 40 years. It is likely that last winter’s increase was due to the predominant strain of flu, the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine and below-average winter temperatures”.

So they don't really know what the causes are, but make some assumptions.

I have to say that with MikeG's post above, it seems exceptionally rude to be discussing this sort of thing: it is no longer "theoretical". @Mike: don't get ill, but rest assured that anyone who can make, and fit, a staircase will laugh in the face of a mild sniffle. Walk in the park. A doddle. We are counting on you to confirm it is trivial.

Trainee neophyte":1vdgi3nz said:
.......@Mike: don't get ill.......

Too late. I'm starting to feel rough. Temperature (sweaty) and a buzzing head. The best I can hope for is that this is just some bug my wife has brought home from school.

Rorschach":3vmvsrol said:
TN, regarding the actual number of deaths I would go further. Coronavirus itself won't kill anyone. There are very few (medical) things in this world that kill us outright on their own.........

You can take this to the Nth degree and say that every human who ever drew breath died of precisely the same thing: lack of oxygen to the brain. I don't think these are really helpful distinctions.

MikeG.":1k8awaya said:
Rorschach":1k8awaya said:
TN, regarding the actual number of deaths I would go further. Coronavirus itself won't kill anyone. There are very few (medical) things in this world that kill us outright on their own.........

You can take this to the Nth degree and say that every human who ever drew breath died of precisely the same thing: lack of oxygen to the brain. I don't think these are really helpful distinctions.

I would disagree there, knowing these things helps us make an informed choice about risk.

If a disease was deadly in it's own right and regardless of age or health it was likely to kill you, then you would be very careful about avoiding contracting it. If however the disease only kills you if you have for instance heart problems, then someone with heart problems can take precautions, but someone without can be more relaxed about it.

MikeG.":2hztsqxs said:
Trainee neophyte":2hztsqxs said:
.......@Mike: don't get ill.......

Too late. I'm starting to feel rough. Temperature (sweaty) and a buzzing head. The best I can hope for is that this is just some bug my wife has brought home from school.

In these parts, we say "περαστικά", and "υγεία", in other words, get well soon, and be healthy!

"Feed a cold, but starve a fever".

(I'm counting on many more years of patient advice and stern repremanding from you, by the way. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back