Corian for turning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Graham

I wasn't thinking of pens to be honest looks a bit complicated so was thinking wouldn't they make fab looking bobbins but wasn't sure if I could use the material.

Mez

Yes, you can use the material but at small diameters it doesn't have, imho, enough strength.

You could however incorporate it in the body of the bobbin... if you aren't aware of it already there's a good book on making lace bobbins by Dave Springett. My method of holding and turning the bobbin is quite different from his, as described in the book... mine's much simpler.
http://www.davidspringett.fws1.com/

If ever you're passing this way I'd be happy to give you a taster session... a small donation to Cancer Research would be appreciated...

Thanks Graham

I have ordered that book and it should be here in a couple of days.

I am hoping I'll be popping over your way but not sure when so will give you a shout when I know more.

Mez

Oh yes I looked at this one the other day. I've been trying to find grids for ages so this is brilliant. It's been a while since i designed some of my own patterns but I'm sure it will come back to me soon enough.

Mez

Hi Graham

Thanks for that link I've held glass and personally there not for me. I think I'll give the Corian a miss I like quite thin bobbins. I have mostly plastic ones at the moment(even if they are nearly as old as me) but there not very nice to work with.
I may a bit of apply coming my way so some the end of the month I'll hopefully be giving that a go.

Mez

Mez, I can send you a few pieces of Osage Orange - very hard wood, I haven't tried myself but it would make very good bobbins. I've never turned a bobbin, mainly because I don't know anyone who makes lace. PM me.

Re Osage Orange - I wanted some chunks to turn and when I visited the states a few years back, couldn't find any - turns out that in some states it is just used for fenceposts as it lasts forever. I managed to get a board about 8 foot by 8 inches by 1 inch - not a lot of use apart from thin spindle turning or small platters

Latest posts

Back