Core tool kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter Sefton":36fngrxg said:
I tend to put mine in the well if possible, one of my students left his standing up in a dog hole and I almost took my eye out on it when looking in detail at a piece of work on his bench. OUCH! a dam good bruise on my temple.
Ouch. I might re think that. Although I do tend to put things like that at the back of the bench rather than front..

Ouch will this thread never end?
As a matter of interest, I wonder whereabouts on their benches people put their tea cups (or mugs)? I used to put mine on a shelf until a cup of cocoa fell on my head. No warning on the tin!

BB I can't be bothered to take photos. It's getting seriously bonkers having to argue about and show how the screw will tighten a marking gauge. Think "wedge" if you are still worrying about it.

Doug B":33hxhdgf said:
iNewbie":33hxhdgf said:
I always buy slip-ons as laces are known to come loose.

If you tie a double bow your laces won't come loose.
But don't tie them together or you might trip over.

Jacob":1zhlib5d said:
Doug B":1zhlib5d said:
iNewbie":1zhlib5d said:
I always buy slip-ons as laces are known to come loose.

If you tie a double bow your laces won't come loose.
But don't tie them together or you might trip over.

Thanks for the warning Jacob, they really should write that on the shoe box or give us some kind of instructions!

Jacob":2b4yjpdl said:
BB I can't be bothered to take photos.

That's a shame - I was hoping to explore the pros and con of various designs.

Still, if you can't be bothered, fair enough.

BugBear

bugbear":2nmhj7lm said:
Jacob":2nmhj7lm said:
BB I can't be bothered to take photos.

That's a shame - I was hoping to explore the pros and con of various designs.

Still, if you can't be bothered, fair enough.

BugBear
'e's eggin me on!
Basically two points of contact (screw and one point on the body) and the thing can move. Three points (screw and two points ditto) and it's fixed.
But to design in three points could lead one up the garden path - hence the popularity of things which can be seen to have a rationale (1001 gadgets; wheel gauges, sharpening jigs, you name it) but which aren't necessarily any good.
But the ordinary marking gauge prioritises user convenience and value for money (simple construction, rounded profiles, coarse screw for fast action, overall geometry etc) and the essential three point fit is almost an accident due to the right level of mismatch of components. Not obvious at all except that it works - but that's not good enough for some!

Jacob":3kvr9nm3 said:
But the ordinary marking gauge... and the essential three point fit is almost an accident due to the right level of mismatch of components.

file.php

As I said, (but I'll repeat for emphasis) while my lower diagram shows a theoretical possibility, I can't find an actual
real-life example; the upper diagram shows a much simpler, practical system for a locking fit, and I have
a whole boxful of gauges that lock this way (although some don't lock at all).

This theoretical locking model requires far closer tolerances that the simple 'V' of the 5061 approach.

Further, it would be simple to make quite minor changes to the 'D' design to ensure that it did indeed
definitely lock in a "wedged" fashion, and that doesn't need close tolerances, but they don't exist "in the wild".

D.png

So, on the balance of present evidence I believe the upper digram to represent
the real world truth.

BugBear

Attachments

• D.png
    D.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 723
bugbear":13sr2xij said:
the real world truth.

BugBear
No it's a diagram. Look at your gauges instead.

Jacob, go and get your camera and do the picture thing.

Jacob":1lu5bxxx said:
bugbear":1lu5bxxx said:
the real world truth.

BugBear
No it's a diagram. Look at your gauges instead.

I did (and I thought I'd made that clear :roll: ); they match the upper diagram.

If you have something different in mind, a description, photograph, sketch or diagram
would help further the discussion.

BugBear

Back