Cordless tool options (manufacturer)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I should have mentioned more facts to explain! Tools will only be used in the workshop, and occasional use only - it's just hobby stuff. The main reason for cordless is that there's a dearth of power sockets and the layout mean sbeing a fair distance from them too, so it just makes sense to avoid dragging extension cables all over the place. I imagine Ryobi or another DIY brand would probably suffice to be honest.

Battery life is pretty irrelevant I think, I doubt I'd ever run out of juice drilling a few holes!

A couple of years ago I was also trying to decide which manufacture to go for as I just wanted a one battery system.
I looked at the main brands, and there were all sorts of deals on offer, but I knew I would, in time want a battery hedge cutter for lightweight trimming. At the time there was only one make that produced and distributed in the uk, so I went that route.
If there’s anything for garden/outdoors or niche you’re thinking of, it might narrow down your list. I’ve not looked recently, but if you, for example wanted to get a light weight chainsaw or hedge cutter your list of manufacturers will probably shrink dramatically.

I brought a brushless Makita drill and impact driver with 2 batteries, with the intention of going Makita cordless.

When I brought a router shortly after, I brought a Dewatt corded as I'm unlikely to use it in random places (not in the last 4 years), a corded version is lighter and more controllable and ultimately an extension lead isn't so much of a hardship every few years.

I did also buy a Makita multi-tool, but again ended up going for a corded version because it was on offer and silly cheap (<£80 new). Like the drills I do use this all over the house so a cordless one would have been good, besides trying to put the cord in the box it was supplied in is a mission. Awesome tool!

My Makita Jigsaw is a corded again, like the router I just figured that I'm not likely to use that much outside of the garage and its lighter and more controllable.

Personally as a diy'er and (very) amateur wood working hobbyist, I used to spend so many hours researching which tool to go for and best value for money, etc, I figured that in future I'll do 20 minutes research and unless its clear what to go for, just opt for the 2nd from bottom Makita version..

Back