Cordless nailers - Clueless as to what I should buy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I really must finish lining out the airing cupboard as I have nowhere to store clean towels; at least not without them falling through the battens, and getting lost behind the water tank! :roll:

Nailing in confined spaces is a bit of a 'hit and miss' ( :mrgreen: ) adventure these days and I think I need a good cordless nailer, to make my life easier.
It's not the only job I can use this tool for, but I don't intend making huge packing cases, or doing any heavy framing work. I need a gun I can use in the shop mostly for light usage. So I need a good, solid gun that can take a range of nails, from brads (panel-pins) up to the equivalent of 3" oval nails. That covers the nails I use most. If any such nailer exists. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.
PS. I can manage up to £300.00.
John

The industry standard for the 2nd fix type work you're talking of is the paslode 16 gauge model. Can't remember the model number as I have the big daddy framer. If you do get it get the one with the angled tip

I do all my second fixing with Dewalt 's original 18v pin nailer. I think it fires up to 63mm pins although I've never used more than 50mms. It's a very reliable gun, I've had it roughly 10 years. I've no experience of the newer version with the lithium batteries, but do have the new Dewalt framing nailer and I'm not a fan.

Thanks folks. The info has been useful, and I am much obliged.

(I think the airing cupboard is to warm for hot melt glue Phil!! Just in case. 8) )
After all, I think a mini compressor and a Makita brad/pin nailer. It will stay in the workshop. For the airing cupboard I'll probably just fix with screws and my mini-cordless driver.

Probably a permutation from the following!

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... 7ANDqIVTf4
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... 7ANeKIVTf4

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... 7AM1qIVTf5
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/search.php?se ... &x=20&y=14
also
I found a video on the Bostitch nailers and they also look to be a good bit of kit.
Can I resist the temptation of buying two gauges, whatever I go for! :lol:

Thanks again Folks.

John

Thanks Matt. Added to my wish list for now. It's worth a pop.

Phil.

The tank is well insulated, but the airing cupboard is warm by default . It has its own heat source! I just left the bottom of the tank uncovered and the warmth percolates . I have the water heater on permanently anyway, so no probs.

Of course you could be right; I might be looking for an excuse. :lol:

I'd definitely look at battery over gas if you cordless is essential to you. Gas nailers have cornered the market for the last few years, however they tend to become a bit glitchy over time.
Battery technology is starting to overtake. I've used Bostitch framing and finishing nailers and they both were fantastic.
Also if you're only using it occasionally remember the gas goes out of date.

If reliability is the main thing, pneumatic guns are dead simple. Very little to break on them.

Dan,

The main 'problem' was that I didn't want to lug a compressor all over the house, if I needed to use a nailer indoors. For the shop, I am happy enough to use a pneumatic nailer of some sort; for the amount I would use a gun, a low end nailer would do. I just had the idea that air-nailers were a bit pricey, but it seems they are reasonable enough. after all!

Cheers
John

I have cheap Lidl brad nailer that works great, cost me under £20 and plenty good enough for a few times a year I use it. I would love a headless pin nailer too but they are soo pricey in comparison.

I do have an old Black & Decker electric stapler, and tacker, but I can't get any nails for it. There isn't much power either, and staples will just about go into a softwood laminated panel, I use for watercolour painting. So I doubt it would manage tacking through MDF or ply! :(

Pneumatic cheapo in the shed at home and bostitch 16g on site. Very very pleased with the bostitch (having used supplied paslodes in the past)
I dont think you can beat the pneumatics if you are bench bound though.

Back