cooking last week

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst we were discussing GW last week I did a bit of cooking :) :)

piew.jpg

Interesting story regarding this meal.
My wife used to get home later from work than me (she was in collators) and one evening I had cooked this steak pie for the first time from one of her cooking books.

She came into the kitchen straight from work and the pie was looking the same as picture above.
She immediately dropped her handbag and went straight out to the dustbin looking for the ready made packaging of a steak pie. (it was her work experience that caused her to do that :) :wink: ).
We always have a laugh each time I cook this one I even had to cook a pie in her presence on one occasion.

Looks delicious.

Does the 'no pic, didn't happen' apply to the recipe as well? :whistle:

Brendan

(Please)

OK, off the cuff.

1 lb. of beef, I use top rump purchased in 4 lbs length when on offer at S's

Cube meat and put into a saucespan with around 2 ozs. of dripping or lard.

Brown meat for 5 minutes and then remove, but leave the hot fat.

Half to one onion roughly chopped and 6 mushrooms sliced are then put into the hot fat for 3 minutes, meat is then added back to pan together with a tablespoon of Worcester sauce and another of tomato puree (from tube)

Two heaped tablespoons of plain flour are stirred into pan at low heat and when well stirred, three quarters of a pint of hot beef stock are finally added together with some seasoning of your choice.

A couple of stirs and the lid put on saucepan and left to boil slightly (called simmering) for around an hour, if you leave longer it might not have enough stock).

Preapare some Puff pastry, rolled out to the size of your casserole dish and put the pastry away in the fridge for the hour.

Have the oven heated to around 200C and put the casserole with contents and pastry on for around 30 minutes until pastry has risen to your satisfaction.

Going to watch the afternoon film on 5 see yuh.

Hi,
Great I will try this at home.Hope everyone will like it.I am feeling hungry now and looking at the picture posted by you I can't wait now I am going to make this.

I went and got mushrooms this morning and I'm going to make this for dinner tonight. Hopefully it will turn out well, if not, the Post Mortem will reveal all.

Brendan

Awaiting your reports.

I meant to post today's lunch, a six egg omelette with chopped bacon, scallions, chopped mushrooms and tomatoes.

Cooked on the gas ring and then popped under the electric grill to do the top. Perhaps it is not an omelete?

Devonwoody,

Here's my attempt. I followed you except for adding a whole pack of mushrooms and adding mashed, creamed potato instead of pastry. I served it up with green beans from my garden last summer that I have bags and bags of in the freezer.

Pensandbowls006.jpg

Then I dug in -

Pensandbowls008.jpg

My wife said "That is absolutely beautiful, you need to thank the guy you got the recipe off".

So, Thank You.

Brendan

looks good i may try some of that - tho my swimbo doesnt like beef so i might try it with lamb instead.

big soft moose":ibasi1dq said:
looks good i may try some of that - tho my swimbo doesnt like beef so i might try it with lamb instead.

must...resist...jokes...about...pork... :oops: :lol:

Well well well.

I'm doing the same casserole today but the topping is one layer of grated parsnips, another of carrots. a further layer of swede/turnip which have all been stir fried with butter and seasoned with vegetable Oxo then put in the oven like those recipes above.

Quite nice with Pork. :wink: :)

Latest posts

Back