??????? CONTINUATION OF THE 2011 CHALLENGE ???? ( POLL )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2011 future , do we continue , please vote

• Use Barry as a Judge and ask for a second volunteer ( Richard ? )

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Let the forum entrants vote by poll each month for the remaining 5 months

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • End the 2011 challenge now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jonzjob":3ragz2nr said:
Onward and upward as the saying goes?

What is the July comp theme? I have tried to find the themes for the year but failed dismally #-o #-o

John

I think it was a Gallows

for if it kicks off again :mrgreen:

O, no hang on :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

it was a DECORATED platter

Just as a reminder John

Attachments

• uk comp.jpg
    uk comp.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 517
Ta Mr Blister! A gallows ehh? That would stop folks hanging around me-thinks #-o I could practice me knots :?:

A DECLORATED platteur, :-k :-k

Encore mercie Gordon for the list :mrgreen:

By the way Gordon, I like the idea that your box is dual purpose. You could put all of you OHs jewlery is the tray and have a crafty drinkies too :roll: :roll: Oh, and the finial should have started at the bottom like someone elses :twisted: :twisted:

Blister - I know its only Jun, but can we have the dates for July ? - As i'm going on holliers on 17th

ta

Laurence

Jonzjob":3tmetkg0 said:
Oh, and the finial should have started at the bottom like someone elses :twisted: :twisted:

Rats, I missed that, it could have been even taller that way :( I'll have to see how I can decorate a platter somehow, maybe a spike in the middle for Hula Hoops)

Blister I have been unable to vote as the option which I would support is not there:
Keep George + maybe have a peoples vote if it's absolutely necessary. EDIT: sorry just read the thread where George retired so would now vote for both a new judge and a people's vote if necessary :)

Obviously if we have more judges that can only be a good thing but there's no way that it''s going to stop any upset at how the judge has arrived at their decision. I can't think that club competitions ever go exactly as every member thinks.

Quite frankly I've thought on two occasions that I should have placed and was pretty mystified as to why I didn't - the absence of comments means that I'll probably never know however I loved my pieces and so that's all that really matters. I think it's a good thing that the judges comment however if all that means is that people can have a go about hygiene or stability or any other thing that means that their decision is better than the judges I would suggest that the comments stop. At the moment all the comments appear to be doing is giving people a reason to have a go at the judge which is frankly bang out of order.

Thank you to the judges and Blister for organising this - I don't think it should be stopped and I don't think we'll ever all agree with the decisions; that's life :)

Regards

Miles

miles_hot":m7msi8a2 said:
Blister I have been unable to vote as the option which I would support is not there:
Keep George + maybe have a peoples vote if it's absolutely necessary.

Obviously if we have more judges that can only be a good thing but there's no way that it''s going to stop any upset at how the judge has arrived at their decision. I can't think that club competitions ever go exactly as every member thinks.

Quite frankly I've thought on two occasions that I should have placed and was pretty mystified as to why I didn't - the absence of comments means that I'll probably never know however I loved my pieces and so that's all that really matters. I think it's a good thing that the judges comment however if all that means is that people can have a go about hygiene or stability or any other thing that means that their decision is better than the judges I would suggest that the comments stop. At the moment all the comments appear to be doing is giving people a reason to have a go at the judge which is frankly bang out of order.

Thank you to the judges and Blister for organising this - I don't think it should be stopped and I don't think we'll ever all agree with the decisions; that's life :)

Regards

Miles
Hi Miles,

Sorry to disagree but I think the comments are fine. It was knowing why some had been rejected out of hand that made me upset. Again I say NOT the points NOT the league table and I think having a go at the judge in this case was exactly in order. Not as a personal attack, merely because we were completely wasting our time entering something if it wasn't going to be judged on the criteria used to make it. I am old enough to know that ten different people will see things ten different ways and accept that. A judge however, has a set of rules to apply - aesthetics apart.

That is the last time I will raise this particular subject and hopefully we can now all enjoy the rest of the year.

loz":zblmq6vx said:
Blister - I know its only Jun, but can we have the dates for July ? - As i'm going on holliers on 17th

ta

Laurence

Will be roughly

Start 1st July

Notifications of completed entry to be made by 27th 10 pm

Upload of photos and wording by 29th 10 pm then forum locked for Judging

Results on or before 31st

If you are away you can either sent your 3 photos and wording to me or Chas ( If Chas is OK with this ? ) and either of us will upload them for you :wink:

gus3049":6wdig9w8 said:
Hi Miles,

Sorry to disagree but I think the comments are fine. It was knowing why some had been rejected out of hand that made me upset. Again I say NOT the points NOT the league table and I think having a go at the judge in this case was exactly in order. Not as a personal attack, merely because we were completely wasting our time entering something if it wasn't going to be judged on the criteria used to make it. I am old enough to know that ten different people will see things ten different ways and accept that. A judge however, has a set of rules to apply - aesthetics apart.

That is the last time I will raise this particular subject and hopefully we can now all enjoy the rest of the year.

How is it a waste of time? you're saying it's not the points or the league table so what else is it for? Personally having discovered my taste must be at odds with the Judges I'm resigned to not winning so I'm in the same sort of position as you state, i.e. the only reason for entering is to have done one thing a month and to be happy with the thing that I've produced. Now I am presuming on your reasons for entering so if there's something else that is motivating you to enter forgive me! Given this does it matter if the judge picks yours or not (for what ever reasons)?

The rules for each month have never been 100% prescriptive - which is probably a good thing given how much we ask for leeway to do something. I can see something of where Jonny and you are coming from on the egg cup (hygiene) and this month (practicality) and maybe there is something to be learnt here however I do think that the tone of the conversation this month has been detrimental and in the wrong spirit. It has obviously offended George (witness his rather out of character parting shot) and as a result we're one judge down. To what benefit??

Miles

miles_hot":35wc1gau said:
gus3049":35wc1gau said:
Hi Miles,

How is it a waste of time? you're saying it's not the points or the league table so what else is it for? Personally having discovered my taste must be at odds with the Judges I'm resigned to not winning so I'm in the same sort of position as you state, i.e. the only reason for entering is to have done one thing a month and to be happy with the thing that I've produced. Now I am presuming on your reasons for entering so if there's something else that is motivating you to enter forgive me! Given this does it matter if the judge picks yours or not (for what ever reasons)?

The rules for each month have never been 100% prescriptive - which is probably a good thing given how much we ask for leeway to do something. I can see something of where Jonny and you are coming from on the egg cup (hygiene) and this month (practicality) and maybe there is something to be learnt here however I do think that the tone of the conversation this month has been detrimental and in the wrong spirit. It has obviously offended George (witness his rather out of character parting shot) and as a result we're one judge down. To what benefit??

Miles
I said I'd say nothing more as enough has gone on already. We will have to agree to disagree on this and leave it at that. I explained my reaction already along with the regrets which were reversed in the end by the number of posts expressing similar feelings and the parting shot you mention.

miles_hot":2n0s60rm said:
Keep George + maybe have a peoples vote if it's absolutely necessary. EDIT: sorry just read the thread where George retired so would now vote for both a new judge and a people's vote if necessary :)

Regards

Miles

Oh dear...... This is the last time I will mention anything about this, I wasn't going to but the above post just makes me shudder with how people seem so keen to grab the wrong end of the proverbial stick......... I will just make my points and that is it.

1. Nobody is upset by not winning or placing, period. If you think this is what annoyed people you are wrong!

2. Nobody thinks Blister or Barry were doing anything wrong, quite the opposite. If you think they do you are wrong!

This is what annoyed people

When a brief is posted the judging must,by definition of competition judging be done on the words in that brief, George was adding his own ideas to the judging, not judging on the words in the brief, you just can't do this as a judge!
As an example to try and help everyone understand what upset people, George seems to have dismissed entries to the box competition on grounds of them being "more like ornaments than boxes" , the brief said nothing about not being able to enter an ornamental/artistic piece(So it seems Blister didn't mind and was allowing/expecting such pieces), the only real requirement was for a tight fitting lid, all entries had this, all entries fitted the requested criteria!! Therefore they should not have been dismissed from the comp!!!! It was absolutely nothing to do with George giving his opinion/feedback on why what won did, this is I believe seen by all as good!
Entrants support the comp by taking part, putting a lot of thought and time into designing and producing an item for the comp when this is thrown out on grounds that are not stated in the rules they have wasted their time and effort and naturally become annoyed, this is nothing to do with anybody taking the comp too seriously as has been suggested elsewhere by others who obviously haven't understood why! I hope this explains it...

Allen, I don't know anyone who has had anything but the utmost respect and gratitude for what you are doing putting this comp together, you have created a remarkable thing with many different ideas created from the same set of words produced each month. I love seeing all the different work produced and am really pleased you are carrying on with it and long may it continue. I am sorry you got hacked off as you put it.

I myself got a bit of flack after winning the January comp as it was considered by some I was 'too good' to be taking part :shock: You asked me to post a pic of the plaque with my bowl that won, not one person commented on that thread, it made me feel stupid to say the least! Now it seems some are thinking that those of us that raised the above points were taking it too seriously, being sore losers and general whingers. I don't want people thinking this sort of thing of me as it couldn't be further from the truth, so I feel it best if I withdraw from future comps :( I have been turning for 2 1/2 years now so I didn't enter the comp as some 'expert' who expected to win every month, far from it. I only entered to support your efforts as I thought them a really good idea to keep the flagging forum popular. My January plaque is proudly displayed on the living room wall beside a copy of the AAWs journal that featured a piece I made.

Do keep it going and good luck with it.

Why in Gods name should you withdraw JT? Your work is brilliant and something for us to aspire to. As to being better than the rest / too expert to enter / unfair as you'll wipe the floor with us etc - as far as I can see you're not at the top of the leader board :) So those views i must be wrong :)

If I appeared to get the wrong end of your stick (o-er missus) I'm sorry. I do feel though that the comments seem to have contributed to a more contention filled post however I also feel that some of your concerns have a basis and I note that Blister has suggested that going forwards the judges criteria will be stated.

Miles

so I feel it best if I withdraw from future comps [/color]:( I have been turning for 2 1/2 years now so I didn't enter the comp as some 'expert' who expected to win every month, far from it. I only entered to support your efforts as I thought them a really good idea to keep the flagging forum popular. My January plaque is proudly displayed on the living room wall beside a copy of the AAWs journal that featured a piece I made.
/quote]

It is neither appropriate or required for you to withdraw from the competitions.

A lot has been said and done that has cleared the air. And now WE move forward. To withdraw insinuates there was something wrong in what was said. This is not the case.

The competitions will be all the better for being a coming together of many entries reflecting the diverse interpretations of the brief. What is really required is for MORE submissions - not less.

Please do not feel you need to withdraw. The competition will be the worse for it if you do and you have done nothing wrong to need to withdraw.

Entering the Challenge is NOT compulsory as I have explained to several people who have sent me PM's saying they are sorry and will not be able to enter for whatever reason / whatever month

If you want to be involve so be it, please enter if however its causing you a problem give it a miss , I am not about to start pleading with people to enter

I had hope that the improvements to the monthly requirements along with the Judges input / requirements / criteria would at least make the upset people give it another go

We have around 49 on the list , some have not entered so far but may at a later date

So rounding up , Enter if you want to if not withdraw

I am now going to ring Barry for his requirements :mrgreen:

PS the " you " in the above refers to all entrants and not anyone in person :wink:

Blister, it is with great relief that I read that the competion is to continue. To me if would have been a terrible let down if it were not to.

I have not taken part in it, but I have read every thing posted about it since you started . Im sure if you were to have one of your famous polls you would find many more just like me. Its a great source of inspiration for me , I search through the entrants every month and pick out which I think are the best and promise to have a go at making one . My selection does not always agree with the judges, but who are they to know any better :roll: .

I think you have gone a long way down the road to achieve what you have always wanted to achieve.
to have a forum in which everyone from begginer onwards can have their point of view posted ,commented on ,and critqued , in a helpful way. Of course everyone that enters the competion does so in the belief that their entry is the best, and just because whoever was judgeing it was wearing a blindfold it wasent. But there is always next month .

You are always going to get disagreements and somebody feeling hard done by, they will sulk for a bit BUT they will be back. I am an example of this. You seem to be getting the full support of the Mods. but more importantly the members of the Forum so with a little tweek now and then and a little goodwill from all you will continue to provide a lot of pleasure for me and I suspect many others.

Allen, This rambel is to thank you and the forum members for countless hours of enjoyment. Keep up the good work

Best REgards Boysie

boysie39":nrbcin2g said:
Blister, it is with great relief that I read that the competion is to continue. To me if would have been a terrible let down if it were not to.

I have not taken part in it, but I have read every thing posted about it since you started . Im sure if you were to have one of your famous polls you would find many more just like me. Its a great source of inspiration for me , I search through the entrants every month and pick out which I think are the best and promise to have a go at making one . My selection does not always agree with the judges, but who are they to know any better :roll: .

I think you have gone a long way down the road to achieve what you have always wanted to achieve.
to have a forum in which everyone from begginer onwards can have their point of view posted ,commented on ,and critqued , in a helpful way. Of course everyone that enters the competion does so in the belief that their entry is the best, and just because whoever was judgeing it was wearing a blindfold it wasent. But there is always next month .

You are always going to get disagreements and somebody feeling hard done by, they will sulk for a bit BUT they will be back. I am an example of this. You seem to be getting the full support of the Mods. but more importantly the members of the Forum so with a little tweek now and then and a little goodwill from all you will continue to provide a lot of pleasure for me and I suspect many others.

Allen, This rambel is to thank you and the forum members for countless hours of enjoyment. Keep up the good work

Best REgards Boysie

Eugene

Hopefully time will be a healer and things will return to normal

No point in bottling up problems that cam be overcome with dialog

The challenge will move on with a few alterations re the Judging so hopefully all will be OK

Thanks for your kind words of support , I am trying " Some say very trying :mrgreen: "

Hope all is well with you and Claire

And do I offer congratulations on the new appointment to Chairman of your turning Club =D>

Latest posts

Back