Spring Challenge. The Results.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
The results for the Spring Challenge are now in and are made up as follows.

My thanks to Paul Hannaby, judging the entries must have been a difficult task.
Judge's Scores

Hi Graham,
Here's the results -

1. Andy43 - An interesting combination used to good effect.10 points
2. Dennisk - Tight joints and well finished. 8 points
3. Bubba - A simple design effectively turned. 6 points
4. Castanea - Nicely finished. 4 points
5. SVB - Good use of colour and a pleasing shape. 2 points

I disqualified Random Orbital Bob's entry because it didn't start out as a 3" cube - the sapwood gives away the original branch.

Regards Paul

This has been a really interesting contest with the open nature of the ‘theme’ causing big differences in opinions.
Entrants' Scores

( Just to explain this, contestants vote for their top 3 to which I allocate 3 ‘votes’ for first, 2 ‘votes’ for second and 1 ‘vote’ for third – rocket science eh ? )
Votes were received from all of the entrants totalled as follows
1st Castanea with 14 votes = 5 points
2nd SVB with 11 votes = 4 points
3rd Grahamshed with 8 votes 3 points
4th Denniskr with 6 votes = 2 points
5th Andy43 with 5 votes. = 1 point

I would like to thank all the entrants for taking part, I really enjoyed seeing all of them.
So ….
Overall Scores
FIRST place with a total of 11 points = Andy43
Andy43.jpg

2nd place with 10 points = Dennisk
Dennisk.JPG

3rd place with 9 points = Castanea
Castanea.jpg

Joint 4th place with 6 points. = Bubba & SVB
Bubba.JPG

SVB.jpeg

Congratulations to you all.
The next round is going to be fun !!

Mod edit:- The submission thread Link/s

Attachments

• Andy43.jpg
    Andy43.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,829
  • Dennisk.JPG
    Dennisk.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,829
  • Castanea.jpg
    Castanea.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,829
  • Bubba.JPG
    Bubba.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,830
  • SVB.jpeg
    SVB.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,830
Congratulations to all of the entrants and to Andy 43.

There are definitely some very talented people on this forum.

Grahamshed.... I certainly hope your entry was judged on an equal footing as all of the others and not judged harsher given the fact that you organize this challenge. Personally, I thought your piece was far superior to mine given the time and attention to detail you put into the carving and texturing on your piece.

Again, well done everyone and looking forward to the summer challenge.

Bubba

Bubba":33kildx9 said:
Grahamshed.... I certainly hope your entry was judged on an equal footing as all of the others and not judged harsher given the fact that you organize this challenge. Personally, I thought your piece was far superior to mine given the time and attention to detail you put into the carving and texturing on your piece.
Bubba

:) Hi Bubba
Previous organisers have entered the competition and been treated fairly by these same judges and I don't imagine that I am any different.

When I finished the box and looked at it I really liked it and thought it would do well but the photos showed probable tool marks etc on the base that I hadn't seen on the box itself.

Random Orbital Bob":jketf13q said:
Disqualified....bit harsh!! Referee...he was robbed :) So it was a bit undersized....come on ref!!

LOL!

What a shame for you Rob - personally, after seeing it in 'real life', I think you should have won!

Seriously though, how many people actually entered this comp - 5?

;)

Harsh maybe but the rules stated the start point and that's what I used to judge the entries. All the other entries could have started as a 3" cube - whether they did or not is difficult to say! ;-)

back in the land of wifi for the moment. congrats to andy43 and all who entered. i counted 7 entrants, but im upside down for a few weeks.

back in the land of wifi for the moment. congrats to andy43 and all who entered. i counted 7 entrants, with on dq,but im upside down for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back