Spring 2016 Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
Bring on the Cube !!

The Spring 2016 Challenge is for anything you choose to turn from a 75mm cube ( that’s 3 inches in grown up measurements ☺ ) . Paul Hannaby has kindly agreed to judge this quarter’s Challenge,

I chose this size because most places sell 75mm square spindles and this will leave you with plenty to try other things.

The rules are:-

1. The Challenge is open to anyone and everyone.
2. Entries must be new and made specifically for the Challenge.
3. Entries must be made of wood which must be turned on a lathe using woodturning tools.
4. The item can be any size or shape provided that it comes from a 75mm cube.
5. Segmented turning, piercing, carving, colouring, pyrography and texturing are all allowed for this challenge. However it is your turning skills that are important.

Please post three images of your work together with details of the wood used, the tools and methods used to make it and the key dimensions. A special ‘Enreies’ thread will be started for this at the appropriate time.

Images needed:-

1 showing a general view of your entry.
1 top view of your entry.
1 bottom view of your entry.
A fourth picture may be added (but is not compulsory) if needed to show any other interesting details of your entry.

Image size - please use image size 640 x 480 0.3mp, as in previous challenges

Please upload your pictures and description to the ‘Entries Thread’ between 10pm on the 25th March and 10pm on the 27th March.

Please also send me a PM giving me your own opinions of 1st, 2nd and 3rd places amongst the entries (other than your own) between 10pm on 27th March and 10pm on 29th March (for me to compile the entrants’ scoring).

Any queries or questions on this month’s Challenge, please use this thread to ask.

Wouldn't mind having a go at these this year now i have a bit of free time.

Can we cut the cube up into separate pieces? i.e. start with a 75mm cube then cut it in two or three etc.?

Cheers,
D

woodiedonald":n13skze0 said:
Can we cut the cube up into separate pieces? i.e. start with a 75mm cube then cut it in two or three etc.?

Hope so - I have!

S

The object is to make something from a 75mm cube. There is nothing to say it has to stay as a cube or that it could not be a cube made up from several bits of wood. All part of the fun. :)

It is nice to know people are doing something. I am entering as well this year and I was beginning to think no one else was interested.

Hi Bob.
What was worrying me was that the post was met with total silence. Normally you get one or two comments so you know people are interested !! :)

Grahamshed":2ss5iaal said:
Hi Bob.
What was worrying me was that the post was met with total silence. Normally you get one or two comments so you know people are interested !! :)

Fear, my friend, just fear :wink:

Does the blank need to start as 3 by 3, or is there allowance for chuckholding waste at one or either end?

TIA

Greg

Ummmm
The block needs to be 3x3

Nothing stoping you glueing it to a glue block for holding I guess :)

Depending on what you have decided to make, Tenons/ spigots / mortices etc can all be woven into the design and finish anyway.

Grahamshed":4klcc4il said:
The object is to make something from a 75mm cube. There is nothing to say it has to stay as a cube or that it could not be a cube made up from several bits of wood. All part of the fun. :)

It is nice to know people are doing something. I am entering as well this year and I was beginning to think no one else was interested.

Sorry I had read it and will be entering just to make everyone else look good :D

Just need some inspiration and a method of cutting a 3" cube to start with.

G Shed,
Thanks for clarification and fair point re glueing and/or inclusion in final product.
Just thought I'd throw it in there so you knew we were reading it!!
G

gregmcateer":amb0vmab said:
G Shed,
Thanks for clarification and fair point re glueing and/or inclusion in final product.
Just thought I'd throw it in there so you knew we were reading it!!
G

Thank you Greg. Means a lot. :)

What an awesome idea! I've said it for a couple of years so why break the habit.... I'm gonna try and take part this year!!!

Will have to look up the new format 're. Judging ..... but rusty!!!

Can hardware be added in addition to this 3" block?

Things such as pot pourri lids, tops you insert pictures to lids that you can get, clock faces/ movements, picture hanging hooks, glass top inserts, metal feet........ etc

Well you'll be happy to learn that, stuck as I am in a boring public waiting room while my son does orchestra practice, I've come up with the inspiration I was waiting for and now know what I'm going to do. Hurrah! Now I just have to actually do it :)

I have a plan as well Bob :)

Melinda..... The object needs to be primarily a wood turning. To my mind that would make a clock mechanism ok but probably not metal pot lids and feet because they could be turned in wood..... but I am not the judge so I guess anything non wood could be a bit of a risk :)

I have a week off work just before the entry date so there's a good chance I might be able to get something done this time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back