Construction grade lumber....modified somewhat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this, Lee - you needed the img tags like this. :)

Code:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/LeeInEdmonton/arbor2.jpg[/img]

arbor2.jpg

Coo, that's really something. Looks like a lot of work too. Was the design based on something else or...?

Cheers, Alf

Sheesh....thank you Alf. I'm not exactly swift when it comes to computers.
The design came off the kitchen table after a little head scratching. The timbers came from the local building supply outlet in the form of 1 x 4 x 8ft. planks which I laminated up until I had the thickness required for all of the elements. I did this so the weathering would not cause splitting and chunks falling off. Being in Alberta Canada with snow & temperatures that drop to -30 C or so during winter outside projects have to address same.

Lee

Lee, that certainly is "different". It must have been a pain to put the finish on?

Andy

It was indeed Andy. Again due to our weather & the need to stabalize construction grade wood(fluctuating moisture content) four coats of acrylic exterior latex paint was applied. Drove me nuts but at least it will probably be about 5 or 6 years before the neighbor has to paint it again.

Lee

Im trying to work out how you made it . Was it with a router and templates or on the bandsaw ? Very nice either way :D

Hello JFC:

The router was used to edge rout everything except the top, mid, & bottom panels after the main top & bottom panels were assembled. The hexagons were drilled out then a hand held jigsaw used to finish the interior of the hexagon, then the outer edges of the hexagon were cut on my radial arm saw. The grill bars were ripped from the laminated planks & half lapped together using water proof glue. The hexagons were half lapped into the grill bars. The grill was then set up in a frame & the ends of the grill & half hexagons glued and dowelled into the frame forming a panel which was sized to nicely fit into the openings formed by the top, mid, & bottom mini panels. Again...water proof glued & dowelled. It was picky work but rather interesting & kind of satisfying when done.
What caused the neighbor to want a "different" arbor is a arbor that I made for our front entryway.(See below). My wife wanted "different" & when the neighbor made her request my wife insisted that the neighbor's different arbor had to be different than our different arbor heh, heh. Ours was basically a bandsaw excersize with some lathe work.

Lee

arbor.jpg
[/img]

Back