Composite base suggestions please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morag Jones

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Duck decoys

I need to make a life size blank for a project and I want to try some form of composite.
Has anyone got any suggestions for something I could try building up rather than carving away?

Just an experiment for a friend.
Thanks.

Not sure how big your blank needs to be but you could try taping up a large -strong box and filling it with expanding foam -let it cure and you can easily cut or shape it to your requirements 🤗

Life size blank? Core mode out of any old stuff then build up with plasticine, clay, paper clay, air during clay, plaster or similar...

I was hoping to find something of a plastic nature I could use as a base for another coating. If the plan works, I would like to take a mould of it and replicate half a dozen or so, no more. Yes life size, the boys are about 10" long.
Expanding foam won't let me do enough detail, but a trip to a hobby superstore might reveal something...

What gets added to resin casts to make them feel like stone?
Mandarin boys.jpg

+1 on hobby stores. But clay, plasticine, even paraffin wax can be worked to fine detail and act as a master for mold - making in latex or silicone.

What gets added to resin casts to make them feel like stone?

There's all sorts of additives you can use for different finishes in resin, but often it's exactly that - ground up stone dust. A good art supplies shop will sell varying grades of marble dust but you can use all sorts - I spoke to an artist once who used ground up olive stones!
You'd have to experiment with the ratio of resin to filler and technique used to get a decent cast, just bear in mind some resins can discolour with age so if you use a white marble dust it might gradually turn yellow if you don't use the right sort of resin.

I'm only scratching the surface here, to be honest I played with a bit of resin at university but we're going back ten years and it's not something I ever did a lot of but the information's out there if you want to do the research - hopefully I've given you a few ideas anyway!

Latest posts

Back