Coming soon!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
At last I have done some work on a guide aimed at answering the following question that I get asked regularly.

"I have just bought a 3 phase whizzy thing - what are my option for running it at home"

Here is a sneak preview of WIP

motor1.jpg

Bob

Bob - I know these things shouldn't be made too complex, but one option that might well arise is the workshop that has a number of fixed speed 3 ph machines - table saw, planer, bandsaw for instance - but then wants to run a variable speed 3 ph lathe.

I was going to make what I thought was a reasonable suggestion at his point but went off to the Drives Direct website at this point and found myself in more confusion on rotary, static, and digital converters. This is further compounded by finding that Transwave have put out a warning that there are digital convertors on the market that are modified 240v inverters and are not CE marked.

Beware this looks like a minefield !

Rob

OldWood":1mjexf47 said:
Bob - I know these things shouldn't be made too complex, but one option that might well arise is the workshop that has a number of fixed speed 3 ph machines - table saw, planer, bandsaw for instance - but then wants to run a variable speed 3 ph lathe.

I was going to make what I thought was a reasonable suggestion at his point but went off to the Drives Direct website at this point and found myself in more confusion on rotary, static, and digital converters. This is further compounded by finding that Transwave have put out a warning that there are digital convertors on the market that are modified 240v inverters and are not CE marked.

Beware this looks like a minefield !

Rob

Yes it is a minefield if I try to make the chart cover all eventualities.

1) The is why I phrased the question as I did to suggest this applies to the first 3 phase import to the workshop.

2) A user with the sort of question that you pose really should be knowing a little bit more on the subject having already got a few machines running.

Thanks for looking and the feedback

Bob

PeterBassett":1pcu48jf said:
Are the outputs for "Is the power greater than 4HP?" the wrong way round?

Well spotted Peter,

I spent so much time mirror imaging some parts to avoid any crossover lines that I tripped up there.

I'll correct my master.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Toby,

I am using visio 2000 technical but not necessarily using all it's capabilities as I'm not that much of an expert and I don't find it very friendly.

I'll have a play with the application you suggest and see how I get on with it.

Bob

Bob,
Not any use to me at the mo but may be one day. Great piece of work though so keep it going.

If I was going to use it, and assuming I was putting in several machines, my first question would have been at the "Is The Motor Power Greater than 5 HP" point. It isn't clear if that applies to a single machine or all combined. May be worth an update for dummies like me. Apologies if I am reading it all wrong.

MikeH":1f9bo19i said:
Bob,
Not any use to me at the mo but may be one day. Great piece of work though so keep it going.

If I was going to use it, and assuming I was putting in several machines, my first question would have been at the "Is The Motor Power Greater than 5 HP" point. It isn't clear if that applies to a single machine or all combined. May be worth an update for dummies like me. Apologies if I am reading it all wrong.

Useful feedback Mike. Thanks

However the motor power questions only arise if the earlier multiple machine question is answered "no"

I'll try and make this clearer in some notes

Bob

Ah yes, the visio connectors threw me as it looked like an in arrow head from the left. Should have realised that then there was only a no option on that decision box!

I can see one major flaw with this approach Bob....

We...the mere mortals....will no longer need to post requests for help of a various nature and receive the warm help of the esteemed author on a personal basis!

:D :D :D :D :wink:

Jim

jimi43":1qng6su4 said:
I can see one major flaw with this approach Bob....

We...the mere mortals....will no longer need to post requests for help of a various nature and receive the warm help of the esteemed author on a personal basis!

:D :D :D :D :wink:

Jim

yeah we will - when we dont understand what hes written and need it explaining to us in words of one sylabubble

I will still try to give personal answers but to be honest many of the questions I've been asked can be answered by reading what I have written in my documents not just looking at the pictures.
I have gone to a lot of trouble to try and write things clearly and get then proof read by others.
I do get a bit pi88ed off by the technophobe - can't understand/won't understand brigade.

When questioners do expose a weakness in the documents I do update them.

Finally it is much more interesting to get challenging questions such as a two page Q&A I have just done with someone who has clearly read what I've written.

Sorry if this comes over as being grumpy :wink: but I really have tried to simplify a complex subject and apply it to our world.

Bob

9fingers said:
I do get a bit pi88ed off by the technophobe - can't understand/won't understand brigade.
Bob

Morning Grumpy Bob
You have my utmost sympathy - it's not only the phobia about technology, but the totally unwillingness to do anything about the it "being an area I'm not going to go into".

It would almost seem as if engineers have an engineering mindset, the non-engineers the opposite and the gulf in between is uncrossable.

One of the factors that compounds this is the internet in that nothing needs to be learnt nowadays, and no new mental skills developed - we're losing the ability to think things out for ourselves. You only need to find the right place to ask the question and someone will get the "I'm wanted " buzz out of giving you the answer.

And before anyone ticks me off, I'm as guilty as a lot of others and I have a foot in both camps. :)

Rant over
Rob

I'm only joshin' with yer Bob! :wink:

I need to read the INDUCTION course...I have the capacity and the resistance of others fair chokes me up and leads me to switch my allegance momentarily through no volt of my own...

OMG...punitis has set in...there is no stopping it now.... :oops:

I'll get me coat!

:D :D :D

Jim

jimi43":38pow0by said:

I need to read the INDUCTION course...I have the capacity and the resistance of others fair chokes me up and leads me to switch my allegance momentarily through no volt of my own...

I'll get me coat!

Jim

Maybe you need to up the medication until the PUNishing calms down Jim!

Bob

9fingers":2exx32dc said:
jimi43":2exx32dc said:

I'll get me coat!

Jim

Maybe you need to up the medication until the PUNishing calms down Jim!

Bob

Nah...it's ok mate...they've fitted a coil!

:D :D :D :D

J

Back