Collet Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random Orbital Bob":1ynnjoqx said:
Marvellous...thanks again for all the specifics.
I've just checked the Axy offering and assume that you are looking at the 'Junior Chuck'.

If that is the case then your 11mm sq stock would not fit. This chuck uses the smaller ER20 Collet which has a maximum capacity of 13mm.

I have also been wondering why you don't re-saw the 11mm sq stock to 5mm sq - getting 4 times the number of 'apple storks'. This could be accommodated in the Junior chuck.

Another option would be to cut the 11mm sq down to 9mm sq which would fit in a 13mm collet.

The reason I made my own 'screw straight on to the nose' chuck was because there isn't one made commercially.

ArcEuro do an ER32 on a 'plate' which is intended to be used on a chuck back-plate - either 95, 100 or 125mm dia. see http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue ... let-Chucks

It was worth me getting a flange mounted ER32 chuck for my metal working lathe as the headstock (MT3) has a half decent (for a small lathe) 20mm bore through it allowing long stock to pass through it.
Not sure what it is on my MT2 wood turning lathe but it's much smaller so not so much of an issue.

This video shows how ER collets work Bob.

https://youtu.be/mRWiDUfCGqE

Probably the most common use of a collet in wood working is holding a bit in a router. Often they are just slotted metal sleeves but I seem to recall at least one brand of router using an ER collet, although I didn't know that's what it was at the time.

If you have a hollow headstock you can have metres of material hanging outboard as long as you can control the whip as it rotates. With a non hollow headstock you are committed to using short lengths (or having them suitably supported over the bed). The idea is that you can work on the material close to the headstock with great accuracy, a few centimeters at a time.

Robbo3":24ydpy1u said:
If you have a hollow headstock you can have metres of material hanging outboard as long as you can control the whip as it rotates.
That last comment (that I've turned red) MUST be born in mind !!

I had an 8mm dia bar of steel protruding only 300mm beyond the end of the head-stock on my Myford Super7, started it up at about 500rpm and it took less than 2 seconds to bend nearly 60º and do great deal of damage. I've not made that mistake twice !!

I've not mentioned this until now as I didn't want to complicate matters. In addition to the standard ER32 closing nut that comes as standard with the majority of chucks you can buy a "bearing" closing nut.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue ... ing-Type-B

These nuts requires much less pressure to be applied to close the collet due to the bearings inside them. I have these on my metal working machines. In some cases I can happily apply enough pressure by hand when turning small components on my lathe. It just saves using a spanner on occasion.

Latest posts

Back