Cole jaw mod

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz8521

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, had a couple of bowls that were too big to fit in my cole jaws so I did a bit of a mod

Quite happy with the result but think I will replace the pan head bolts with countersink ones eventually

It only give me an inch or so but it was just enough to finish the two oak bowls with out too much hassle

Had to be a bit careful of course and i don't think i would put any really deep bowls on there but it seemed to work ok.what do you all think?

mike s":2dcqs9gm said:
what exactly did you do?

looks like he's added external extension plates to hold each jaw, instead of them being attached directly to the quarter plates (not a technical term but the best I could come up with!).

neat job, and I like the double bolt attachment for each to give consistent alignment, and a little extra security =D>

Sorry if didn't make it clear but yes Jumps thats exactly what I did did. I did start off with one hole in each plate but it didn't look very safe.

Seem to have seen those before somewhere :)
smDSC02121.JPG

Perhaps a better solution would have been to attach 3/4 thick timber to each quadrant with some thread inserts in. (turn round before use!).

This is much more finger / knuckle freindly if this is to be a long term 'improvement'.

BRgds
Simon

In practice Simon it is not a significant problem, far less risk than turning a natural edge or off centre piece, and you are working on the base of the piece so some distance away from them.

I currently use them in association with a 125mm chuck which gives 40mm (diam.) travel so there is never any need for the buttons to be positioned anywhere other than the outer edge and so you would have a rubber 'buffer' as the point of contact.

while on this subject, and co-incidentially I have just made up the components for 19mm birch ply cole jaws for a project, can anyone suggest a source of appropriate 'buttons'?

I was initially going to machine some from hardwood scraps, then I thought I would wrap a couple of rubber bands round each - then I thought I should do it properly!

cheers

jumps":ep19flv3 said:
while on this subject, and co-incidentially I have just made up the components for 19mm birch ply cole jaws for a project, can anyone suggest a source of appropriate 'buttons'?

I was initially going to machine some from hardwood scraps, then I thought I would wrap a couple of rubber bands round each - then I thought I should do it properly!

cheers
Take a look in CHJs link.There are some good suggestions there :D

jumps":9l2b6rll said:

cheers

You could use demijohn bungs (used by home brewers) and modify them to suit your needs

Cheers,
Dave

Paul.J":2p7ku05g said:
jumps":2p7ku05g said:

cheers
Take a look in CHJs link.There are some good suggestions there :D

Thanks Paul, I did read it all (and all the links within links) but unfortunately nothing quite worked - or made financial sense.

As examples all the wine I drink has screw caps or cork and whilst Axminster do 'spare buttons' for their cole chuck they are £35 ie over half the total cost! Walking stick feet make sense for a 4 button Longworth, but don't really scale to an 8 cole.

steadyeddie":1l334aew said:
You could use demijohn bungs (used by home brewers) and modify them to suit your needs

Cheers,
Dave

thanks Dave, will look into that.

looks cost effective (at about £6 for all 8) - interesting. slightly large, but being solid they could be trimmed.

jumps":37lkru9q said:
steadyeddie":37lkru9q said:

Cheers,
Dave

looks cost effective (at about £6 for all 8) - interesting. slightly large, but being solid they could be trimmed.

This might be usable, molded into drilled holes in scrap ply maybe ?

monkeybiter":gl6472z3 said:
jumps":gl6472z3 said:
steadyeddie":gl6472z3 said:

Cheers,
Dave

This might be usable, molded into drilled holes in scrap ply maybe ?

Mike,

don't quite follow your comment (which concerns me!)

I was thinking of adding a tube lining inner just under length, and then a washer on the outside - through bolted... should give me both a good shape (with the option of a small adjustment) and a good grip.

what am I missing?

jumps":1gt2yaiq said:
don't quite follow your comment (which concerns me!)

I was thinking of adding a tube lining inner just under length, and then a washer on the outside - through bolted... should give me both a good shape (with the option of a small adjustment) and a good grip.

what am I missing?

I was suggesting you could try molding buttons, but using soft [gripping] sleeves on hard (dowel?) buttons could work well, and be free.

monkeybiter":3h12zbhp said:
I was suggesting you could try molding buttons, but using soft [gripping] sleeves on hard (dowel?) buttons could work well, and be free.

A link to the particular resin/encapsulating compound you were referring to might be helpful.

Latest posts

Back