Clarke CWL1000b

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the Aldi workzone version, it got me going, but outgrew it in under 6 months, found it underpowered, sloppy and not very true. But that I only found out after I bought a used record power dml36sh mk 2 and everything became so much easier and enjoyable. Had that about 3 years, then sold it on and got more than I paid for it originally.
Now got a new Coronet herald and love it.

It'll help get the basics sorted and to see if you like turning.
If it grabs you like it grabbed me, then you're in for a lot of fun, oh and severe damage to your bank balance.

It's staying. I got made redundant end of September, So no more spending too much on tools. I have some ideas for modifications such as a tailstock chuck. They aren't available to buy, so I'll make one. I also have an engineering lathe, so I will be able to do it easily enough.

Well you have a really rubbish lathe there, but if it is all you can afford then so be it - I hope you didn't buy it new at about £140 though. I think you will want to upgrade as soon as possible, easier said than done when money is tight. However I would not go spending on accessories because the lathe really is not worth it, unless you can make your own of course. Basically though I think the turning tools are a more important issue. If you buy a set of 6 or 8 for £25 then you are buying more rubbish, so avoid the temptation. New HSS tools are anything from around £25 to £90, not cheap, so don't buy a set of tools. Just buy a few basic ones, second hand if need be, and add more as you need them. HSS is better, and all new turning tools are HSS, but don't turn your nose up at second hand carbon steel. They will need sharpening more often but I still use mine - I have about 15 of them. Also you must have some means of sharpening them. Buy a copy of 'woodturning - a foundation course' by Keith Rowley, about £8 used from ebay. There is a section on making a sharpening jig in there.
Don't expect to turn anything big - the speed on your lathe does not go slow enough, so I am told. But with decent sharp tools you should have an enjoyable introduction to turning. Be aware, it is addictive, and not a cheap hobby.
Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings regarding the lathe, but still, it's a lathe and it will probably give you hours of enjoyment - just don't expect too much of it and be aware that it will need to cool down after about 20 minutes use, it's not built for continuous use.

K

Last edited:
I bought this lathe 10 months ago when I first started turning so still very new to the world of turning, and I like it, but the guys are right, this lathe is very basic and have a lot of limitation. However I have turned quite a few projects and it’s a lot of fun, you won’t be able to turn big stuff but will keep you going and help you to develop skills with the tools.
Have a look at some of the project I managed to turn with this lathe - potpourri pot was the biggest - about 7 inches and the little motor struggled quite a bit.

hope this helps

D

Attachments

• CE211625-FCCE-4D05-B062-98A57244D3F8.jpeg
    CE211625-FCCE-4D05-B062-98A57244D3F8.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 6
  • D58B2812-8FF0-4272-B573-8984601493AC.jpeg
    D58B2812-8FF0-4272-B573-8984601493AC.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 7
  • E2D1B7E1-12F3-4C63-B559-23D874D10E53.jpeg
    E2D1B7E1-12F3-4C63-B559-23D874D10E53.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 1EACA0E9-0451-4EC5-9C5E-98B0BC802D9E.jpeg
    1EACA0E9-0451-4EC5-9C5E-98B0BC802D9E.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 7
I bought this lathe 10 months ago when I first started turning so still very new to the world of turning, and I like it, but the guys are right, this lathe is very basic and have a lot of limitation. However I have turned quite a few projects and it’s a lot of fun, you won’t be able to turn big stuff but will keep you going and help you to develop skills with the tools.
Have a look at some of the project I managed to turn with this lathe - potpourri pot was the biggest - about 7 inches and the little motor struggled quite a bit.

hope this helps

D
,,they look good, especially the candle holders,, a lot of stuff can be done on your starter lathe with a bit of imagination,,

Back