Sourcing wood for turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So as you may know I got my first lathe a week ago.

Where are the best places to source wood, seasoned blanks preferably as I really don't have to space to be storing wood for years.

I don't tend to work with much hardwoods in the workshop so scrap bits are a bit light on the ground. I noticed Yandles has a turning packs but it doesn't state how many blanks you get in the packs.

There are a lot of skills a turner needs to learn. How to scrounge up wood being one of the main ones. The main thing with turning is that nearly any wood can be turned so trimmed branches and other tree pruning is a great source. Places that sell firewood could be another place to look. Green wood can be rough turned so that it dries faster. Knock out a bowl with the sides about 1'' thick and put it aside someplace cool and dry and it should be ready for a final turn in 6 months or so. Being a turner has you looking at trees in a whole new way.
Regards
John

Where are the best places to source wood, seasoned blanks preferably as I really don't have to space to be storing wood for years.

I don't tend to work with much hardwoods in the workshop so scrap bits are a bit light on the ground. I noticed Yandles has a turning packs but it doesn't state how many blanks you get in the packs.
If you are nearby or passing it, it’d be well worth popping in to Yandles. The self selection timber and bowl blanks are extensive. If you just want different little scraps to practice on there are two big bins with bits for a couple of quid.

@Britman as others have said, any wood is fine, however, I would recommend avoiding soft woods like pine as it can be frustrating to get good clean cuts without tearout, green wood is good to learn with as it cuts easily allowing you to concentration on tool presentation. For learning Free wood is best.
Where abouts in the UK are you?

Whenever I see a “what is the best …” question I’m always tempted to ask what is the definition of “best”. For a new turner I think the definition is a combination of “cheap” and “easy to turn”. Fresh, unseasoned wood meets both of those definitions. Green wood is softer than seasoned, and easier to turn. Some wood, such as Sycamore is relatively stable without seasoning. Cherry can warp into interesting shapes as it dries after turning.

If you see a tree coming down ask if you can have a piece. Sometimes people just want it cleared, and let you take as much as you like. Over the months word gets around, and people will let you know when they’re dropping a tree. They may want to sell the trunk but the branches, which have the more interesting grain, usually go for firewood.

Over the last five years I’ve been given Apple, Ash, Cedar, Cherry, Damson, Field Maple, Hawthorn, Holly, Laburnum, Plum, Pyracanthus, Quince, Rowan, Scot‘s Pine, Sycamore, Walnut, Yew, and a couple which I don’t recognise.

Don't forget to give a bowl to the wood donor.

Last edited:
Join you local wood turning club &/or men's shed. Ours often gets contacted by people who have had trees blown down or felled & want to give the wood away. Members will also know other local sources such as tree surgeons.

: Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
I'm up near Liverpool.
You could try PB Hardwood is in Kirkby. They mainly do boards and slabs but if you ring up or pop down they might have some bits and pieces. The owners are a good bunch.

Just leave some for me.

Join a wood turning club, there’s bound to be someone that can help with sourcing suitable timber at a good price.

Hello…I’m in Bristol
I have access to some nice wood … of which I use myself…
Whereabouts are you?
Steve

Back