Clamps / Cramps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedmc571

Established Member
Reaction score
What would yuou suggest the best size for general use in a small workshop for medium size jobs ( cabinets etc )

I was thinking about getting some Bessey Duoklamps at 650mm or Uniklamps ? I just missed out on Mooeee's Besseys last week, they were 300mm, but as an afterthought I wondered if they're on the small size ?

Any thoughts...........

Cheers

Jed

Hi Jed,
I suppose it is pretty obvious to say that the size of cramps you need depends on what you want to make. I have a set of 600 mm UniKlamps and they are good, but fairly lightweight. I reckon that if you are going to be doing cabinet work you need a set of sash cramps. I have a set of 1000 mm Bessey K bodies and some old Woden sash cramps. I can easily bend the bar of the Unis, but I don't think I could get enough pressure on with the old Wodens or the K bodies to get them to bend significantly. The DuoKlamps are similar in operation to the Stanley Quick Clamp/ Irwin Quick Grip. They are useful for all sorts of things and have the advantage of one handed operation, but they wouldn't be my first choice if I was glueing up a cabinet (that would be my Bessey K bodies). Sash cramps are certainly cheaper than the Bessey's, about a third of the price at Axminster.

hi jed

the bigger the better , remember you can use a large cramp on a small job but you can't use a small cramp on a big job . :wink: hc 8)

I find 600mm Uniklamps very usable in a 10'x8' workshop. They are light enough that you can use them on smaller items as well as at full stretch. I also have 300mm F clamps for heavy duty clamping and for clamping stuff to the bench however.

Boz

Back