Clackmannanshire Sources

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazy_pete

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - new to woodworking and planning to start with a few relatively simple (I hope) projects for a new shed that goes up soon.

I was hoping someone here might have some tips on sourcing local materials - sheet MDF / plywood, plastic laminate and in the fullness of time hardwood.

I live in Clackmannanshire (Scotland). Any tips on local suppliers, or how to go about sourcing materials in general, would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Pete

Welcome Pete

I can't help you on sourcing materials but be aware that MDF dust is horrible stuff, if you can cut it outside and wear a good quality mask.

Baldhead

Cheers - will invest in a mask. Been attaching my Hoover to the router dust collector which does a pretty good job (built a traffic cone based dust separator to protect the hovers filters) and will presumably manage similar with tablesaw when it arrives. Was still sneezing out a fair bit of dust though! That was with B&Q MDF off cuts just playing. Presume there is a better / wider range supplier somewhere. I think someone in the past suggested I try the sawmills at Grangemouth docks, but thought I might get lucky and a local would have already done the legwork!

Pete

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure about further west but the two I have used are Scottishwood who are in Oakley near Dunfermline. Very helpful chaps. There is also the place up near Dunkeld who used to trade under the name Brodies. They changed hands in the last year or so. I haven't been but they still seem to be good.

As I understand it there is a pretty active and well equipped woodworking club in Alloa (mostly turners but it seems they do other stuff too). I have thought in the past of joining but they are just beyond my reach for reasonable after work commuting. If you became part of their community I'm sure they would help you out with timber sources too.

Cheers,

H.

The Wee County Crafters (in Tillicoultry) are indeed a friendly bunch, primarily concerned with turning and carving. I was a member there for a while, but between work and two young children I couldnt commit the time required. I could heartily recommend them to anyone.
I cant help you regarding MDF as I dont use it.
Ply is relatively easy to source from Jewsons, Rembrandt timber or any of the other timber merchants in Grangemouth - just do a little phoning around to check prices, especially delivery.
Hardwood, as mentioned above, can be had from Scottish Wood in Oakley - they normally have a good range of localy felled timbers. Other places include Falkirk Wood and further afield up by Dunkeld is Brodies Timber (used to be Burhouse 2.0) If you check out www.ashs.co.uk you will find a list of Scottish sawmills.

Whereabouts are you in Clacks?

Cheers.
Adam

Thanks everyone, that's very helpful. Might investigate the 'Crafters' when I get the chance. Don't suppose you work over Larbert way Adam? Have a sneaking suspicion I'll find you at work!

Cheers

Pete

Re: Brodies Timber. Their website has updates from February this year, so unless something fairly recent has happened, I thought they were still going. It would be a great shame if not, as there are few other places to get such a variety of timber in Scotland.

Cheers,
Adam

useful notes on here!

I'm fairly new too but find Scottishwood is highly recommend by a lot of people so hoping to pop over that way very soon and see what they have but nice to hear of a few other places to add to my 'must check out' list too

Good luck on the project Pete!

Back