Fence for Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicalwonders

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m making a new fence for my table saw out of some leftover plywood, and It will end up being around 18mm thick so should be pretty sturdy.

I’ve been looking at ways to make the face of the fence really smooth, and have come up with three possibilities. If I’ve missed anything, let me know!

I would welcome some advice on the methods I’m looking at.

1. The cheapest option would seem to be a paint job. Any recommendations of the best paint for this?

2. Cladding with Formica / laminate. Very expensive, as Formica is around £100 per sheet! I managed to find a supplier of smaller bits on eBay for about £20. I’ve not found any other suppliers that can match this price,,,,, yet!

3. Cladding with 6mm laminate flooring. I might be able to get a couple of boards for free or around £20 for a pack. I need to obtain local (Watford) as the cost of delivery for this product is extortionate. Around £35 / £40.

If anyone has any thoughts on which method may be the best way to go, or if there is another option I may not have thought of, It would be good to hear. I’m on a budget, so don’t really want to go over £20.

Thanks,

Myles

If you have a sign shop/manufacturer local they will have offfcuts of plastic sign material they would probably give you. The type that they stick letters etc onto. I have a big stack i bought cheap at an auction. Easy to cut with a saw and smooth. I have a piece on my fence around 10mm thick and its excellent. Another point is if the saw hits it it wont cause damage. I think its called backing plastic board. You get thinner than 10mm as well

Yes, I had previously looked at this material. The downside is that is is difficult to bond and requires special treatment. Anything above 1mm get quite pricey.

If you have a sign shop/manufacturer local they will have offfcuts of plastic sign material they would probably give you. The type that they stick letters etc onto. I have a big stack i bought cheap at an auction. Easy to cut with a saw and smooth. I have a piece on my fence around 10mm thick and its excellent. Another point is if the saw hits it it wont cause damage. I think its called backing plastic board. You get thinner than 10mm as well

I'll see if there are any in my area. I want to keep the thickness of the cladding to no more than 5mm or 6mm if I can. I guess they work in thinner materials.

Another option would be wetwall offcuts from bathroom installers?
I'm not really familiar with wetwall panels, but I'll check it out![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
UHMW sheet is what you want. You used to be able to buy ideal sized strips from the likes of Axminster but not sure they do them anymore, perhaps look at the other usual suspects.

This is what they use OEM and the accessory suppliers like Incra.

I always used the odd bit of man made floor laminate......slippery and tough.....
If I can get hold of a couple of bits I think it would work well. I guess a good contact adhesive would be the best thing to stick it on to ply?

If using laminate then roughen the reverse as its pretty smooth. to get a key for the glue The one to go for is the cheaper MDF based one. Some are plastic/vinyl now but may be difficult to glue. B&Q and wickes etc sometimes have damaged packs for sale cheap.

UHMW sheet is what you want. You used to be able to buy ideal sized strips from the likes of Axminster but not sure they do them anymore, perhaps look at the other usual suspects.

I've found lengths of 500mm which is affordable, but I need 600mm so would have to buy 1000mm length. That pushes the price up too much.

UHMWPE Natural Sheet 1000 x 250 x 5mm
£34.02 inc VAT + £7.14 delivery

Use cheap plastic chopping boards. They usually have smooth and tough side.

Screw onto a timber backing fence. Rough side inwards.

If using laminate then roughen the reverse as its pretty smooth. to get a key for the glue The one to go for is the cheaper MDF based one. Some are plastic/vinyl now but may be difficult to glue. B&Q and wickes etc sometimes have damaged packs for sale cheap.

Cheers. That's a good idea to check for damaged or incomplete stock. (y)

Another source is gumtree or ebay. Folks selling half packs etc. Also check your local recycling. You quite often find them being dumped when folks change there floor.

I've found lengths of 500mm which is affordable, but I need 600mm so would have to buy 1000mm length. That pushes the price up too much.

UHMWPE Natural Sheet 1000 x 250 x 5mm
£34.02 inc VAT + £7.14 delivery
Contact some of the UK plastics stockists telling them you want a a narrow piece 600mm long, they will have offcuts that they will happily take your money to ship.

I've managed to get a couple of bit of laminate flooring for free, from a job a mate had left over. So I reckon that will probably do the job, and keep the cost down. :)

I would screw it on rather than glue. Countersink the heads of course. Easier to do, likely stay straighter and you can change it out at a later date if it gets worn or something better comes along.
Regards
John

I would screw it on rather than glue. Countersink the heads of course. Easier to do, likely stay straighter and you can change it out at a later date if it gets worn or something better comes along.
Regards
John

Cheers John. Good idea. I wasn't looking forward to using contact adhesive. The fence will measure about 600 mm x 200 mm appx, with a horizontal 30 mm channel for a T-track. So the bigger surface to laminate will be around 600 mm x 150 mm. As the laminate is not likely to warp, I reckon a screw at each corner and maybe one in the middle should be enough?

Laminate doesnt warp much but can expand with heat so fix in the middle as well as it can bow. Cant see it bowing much over 600mm but better to be on the safe side.

Latest posts

Back