CL4 Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbud78

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone modded theirs or changed to something else ?

I've started turn a bit more bigger stuff and found I get a lot of vibration, the lathe isn't currently bolted down so I'm looking at doing this along with increasing the height a tad.

Has anyone loaded the frame down with sand to try and deaden it ? I'm not sure if it will help as the legs seem quite thin, I'm not sure if I should try to attempt to build a new bench or upgrade the current one ?

Jim

I had the cl3 version for a few years, some time ago, and beefed up the stand by bolting 3/4" ply onto the back and ends to stiffen it, and a making a thick shelf for the mid rails and loading with bags of sand, and it made a noticeable difference when turning larger out of balance blanks.

Cheers, Paul

Dragged the lathe out, made some boards up and got them bolted on through the existing holes. Need to now drill new holes to stiffen it up and stop and torsion in the frame. Has made a noticeable difference already :D Also going to make some feet to raise it a tad, I find its just an inch to low at the moment

Have found some of the timber I was storing under it has a bit of checking in the ends, hopefully its all ok :(

2016-05-17%2009.05.48.jpg

2016-05-17%2009.05.56.jpg

How do the little foot risers hold up?

I need to raise mine by about 1.5" and was going to use 2 bits of ply - this would save me ply and let me use it for shelves!

Stiggy":c724uhsb said:

I need to raise mine by about 1.5" and was going to use 2 bits of ply - this would save me ply and let me use it for shelves!

Not used it in anger yet, I'm most likely going to get some metal box section and resin some rod into the floor then bolt the whole lot down. I think any vibration / movement I'm getting now is down to the bars, time for a cast iron lathe xD

Worth bolting it down as you suggested if you can, will also help ensure the spacers stay put and the machine doesn't "walk" off them if turning a big out of balance blank !

paulm":2e4btldq said:
Worth bolting it down as you suggested if you can, will also help ensure the spacers stay put and the machine doesn't "walk" off them if turning a big out of balance blank !

I've bolted the feet on so there not going to go anywhere :D

Random Orbital Bob":2357b1ur said:
Stiggy":2357b1ur said:

Are you calling me a short a s s Dave????

...not in so many words o buddy of mine! :D

Back