Circular walnut mirror need advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the Lie Nielsen radius cutter - a very reasonable £75! - I think it was £65 when I got it...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product....ie-Nielsen&name=&user_search=&sfile=1&jump=48
It really does cut curves beautifully and the groove which the cutter cuts is only 1.5 mm wide which looks very delicate.
I have done a quite flagrant copy of the Lie Nielsen straight line cutter as wellhttp://www.axminster.co.uk/product....ie-Nielsen&name=&user_search=&sfile=1&jump=48 which works quite well although I sometimes use a 1.5 mm router single flute cutter from Trend when doing long straight lines. The things I struggle with are letters as they mostly have to be done by hand because of the irregular shapes.
It is painstaking work but with very high rewards and does not take too long. If you are interested the FWW website has loads of stuff including excellent videos about inlay work, including some by Steve Latta himself
Thanks for looking

That looks stunning! :shock: Before you give it a final sanding though, I'd give some thought to what could happen shoulder the dark walnut dust get mixed in to the lighter inlays and vice-versa... :? It might pay to put a coat of sanding sealer on first before really rubbing it down. I generally prefer oil finishes for ease of application and also because they really bring out the grain. :)

Decided in the end to go for Fiddes hardwax oil which I think produces a lovely deep sheen and can be polished up when it is almost dry
So, apart from polishing the mirror itself which has a small scratch, it is finished
3903207980_434a0c4e09.jpg

Close up of one side
3903207280_aabf9a99cd.jpg

SWMBO now says she really likes it so could I make an oval one too.... aaarrrggghhh!

you know I've learned something over the years of being a member of this forum and that is that there are some projects you definitely should not show the missus. This is one of those! Fantastic work!

Back