Christmas List

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two books I can recommend:
Box-Making Basics. Design, Technique, Projects by David M. Freedman. If you can get a copy without a massive white smudge down the page caused by a printing error on page 24 then you'll have at your finger tips a very nice read all about making small boxes, jewellry boxes etc. Tauton Press 1997. ISBN 1-56158-123-2

The Encyclopedia of Joint Making by Terri Noll. Everything you ever wanted to know about nearly every joint there is in woodworking. Comprehensive full colour guide to wood joinery. Step-by-step instructions on how to select, cut and assemble the right joint for the job. Guild of Master Craftsman Publications. ISBN 1-86108-070-0.

As for my Xmas wish list, I'm buying myself a set of 22 1/4" shanked diamond points as I'm going to engrave a piece of slate just for the fun of it! :wink:

More thanks... I'll have to look into the Noll book. I already have three of the suggestions (the Charlesworths, the Hylton/Matlack, and the Freedman).

As for Mr Hack, I'm sure the book is a work of beauty, but I already have several handtool books and don't need any further encouragement, thank you :).

Couldn't wait for Christmas - just bought one of the Incra T rules. Great bit of kit - but I now need a 0.3mm lead pencil (0.5mm doesn't get through!).

Having seen Neil's router table - can I add the Incra fence to the list?

T

tim":3uvl0dac said:
Having seen Neil's router table - can I add the Incra fence to the list?

Your list? Or my list? :)

I'll happily add the T-rule to my list, but I think the fence is too pricey to go on mine. If anyone in my family is thinking about spending that kind of money, they'd better be thinking about LV LA jack and medium shoulder planes :eek: :).

So anyone know of a source for 0.3mm pencil leads? I don't think I've seen any smaller than 0.5mm.

Pete,

Obviously your list but if anyone I know should happen to look at this................... :lol:

Sorry didn't mean to look like I was hijacking your list :oops:

T

tim i found refill leads if thats anygood at euroffice steve posted the link in the plastic knobs forum.

Thanks Frank - was in town today and WHS stock them as well so okay for mo. But good to know there's more stuff I can buy without moving a muscle!! :D

T

tim":zqf5sorm said:
Sorry didn't mean to look like I was hijacking your list :oops:

No, no... don't apologise :). My original intent for this thread was to provoke a general discussion on what everyone a) hoped to get for Christmas; and b) recommended the rest of us add to our Christmas list.

So a genuine 'thanks' for you contribution :)

Pete

Chris Pye is a top class carver and reccomends this set of carving gouges
http://www.chrispye-woodcarving.com/too ... html#basic

From my own little bit of experience make wise go for Ashley iles . Pfiel. or auriou.Flexcuts are ok, ive found that some of my Henry tailor gouges dont hold an edge for long and a couple have chipped so dont buy them in case you have too, just my humble opinion

Cheers Steve

Back