chisel sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batfink44

Established Member
Reaction score
I am quickly learning that a sharp chisel is essential and being a beginner i know my sharpening technique is non existent. I don't want to ruin my lovely shiny new chisels by butchering them at the grinding wheel after reading the wood turners "bible" Keith rowley speaks of using jigs. could you point me in the right direction where to get them from please or has anyone actually made the jig set out in his book it looks fairly easy to make but if theres a good priced alternative to it.

Hi Batfink,

The "jig" or sharpening platform that Keith Rowley describes is pretty easy to make if you're set up with the right kit. If not then there are a few alternatives you can buy:

100245_s.jpg

The Axminster own or:

M2301_s.jpg

The Veritas version.

Sharpening like this takes a light touch and a good bit of practice but is quick, easy and cheap once perfected.

Hope this helps,

Richard

PS, my grinder set up:

P2240039.JPG

there have been a number of posts in the last 6 months (one by me) looking for information on the various sharpening jigs (and also Tormek water cooled system comparisons). I have ended up getting the Tru-Grind system (now available through Axminster but better to go to source as there's more bits available). Ultimately I will probably end up with a Tormek T7 however that might be a little time away.

Miles

Hi again Batfink.

As said there have been numerous posts about sharpening over the last few months.

What you first must realise is that every woodworker has their own preferred way to do things, and sharpening is just one, so with tongue in cheek.

IMO one good source of information is here, keeps everything down to a simple level, shows the setting up of the grinder, then goes on to show how to construct a sharpening station from basically wood off-cuts. Once completed this set up will allow you to sharpen all your chisels, including spindle and bowl gouges with long grinds. The tagging when moving forward through the article is a bit awkward, once you have read the page you will find just beneath the end of the article, a very small 'home' and 'next'. This is where you move forward through the tutorial. A few folks couldn't find them.

Also listen to the voice of reason before opting for a Tormek or something such like. They are great pieces of kit, but certainly not needed for woodturning. If you want one great go ahead, all I'm saying is that for woodturning it is a luxury. The above mentioned jig will set you up with all you will ever need.

Good luck!

Hi Fink,

Thisthread is very comprehensive and should give you all you need to know about sharpening for the beginner.

I have an earlier version of the Axminster jig and am not impressed. The bristol levers do not lock very well and the movement is not smooth. It also moves in use. I do however like the idea of it being able to move back and forth (mine does not have that feature). After using Richard's Veritas jig last weekend, I can highly recommend it. Rock solid and simple to use. Making your own is a good option which I would recommend if you have the tools and inclination to do so.

FWIW: I have been using the grinder method with the Sorby fingernail jig and find it fine for the beginner. Having sharp tools is a revelation! The only thing I can't sharpen with ease is the skew. But this is just a case of practice.

I am a complete beginner, still stabbing at wood and generally making a mess. I too have the same book as yourself and managed to make the jig for sharpening, if you look back a bit there is a thread started by me (sharp tools at last) which has a photo of it in.

Bear in mind I am a complete novice woodworker with only your average set of tools (hand saw etc), it was pretty simple and it has enabled me to reshape and sharpen my chisels.

Best Regards

Matt

Thanks wizer, I'm at work at the moment and all the photos get stripped out of the posts (I have to wait untill I get home to see piccys).

Best Regards

Matt

I made and used Kieth Rowleys platform for years with no probs accept for something like an elsworth profile.
I now have an adapted computer screen mounting which has a balll socket at the base and one under the platform so the whole thing can be set at any angle by adjusting these ball joints.
I have a number of profile templates to check the angle of the grinder platform against the wheel and a very useful little tool from Axminster which is a protractor/depth gauge (cost a fiver). With this I adjust the depth arm to fit in the flute of the gouge keeping it parallel then adjust the protractor to sit on the ground edge and read off the angle.
So half decent grinder with 8" white wheel atleast 1" wide (wider is better) a diamond dresser for the wheel and a platform Is all you need to get started.
If you arent sure of the angles Axminster do a set of wall charts with all the info you need at this stage and, as others have said a tour of the net these days will give you more than enough info.

Back