Chinese Firms and Unfortunate Translations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
Amazon has figured out that I like to harden steel. I'm not sure how they know this, but presumably I have typed the word induction hardening in a forum somewhere and here we are....they've recognized that my mrs. would probably be interested in a 15 kilowatt portable induction heater (it's about the size of an old briefcase - interesting idea. A bit small for what I need, and a bit high on the power consumption).

I thought I'd give the video of the thing a watch after seeing that in typical fashion, a listed 15kw induction heater only consumes 7.2kw of current. That's neither here nor there (I tested my 1800 watt low=cost toaster oven and it draws 1100. If I wasn't so boggled by the fantastic low cost and how accurate the temp dial is when tempering steel, I might be upset (it was $22 including shipping!!)

So, here's the rub.

I didn't look at the seller's name. ......went to watch the video, and then was forced to screen grab

1636579008609.png

The seller's name is apparently "DIY Area"

That's not what I saw first. What do you see when you look at that image?

In the same hemisphere, as it were, but not just the Chinese, the French beat 'em to it decades ago.

Walking off the ferry at Le Havre as a youngster in the 60's, we saw huge posters advertising this stuff, which cracked up up.

I later found out that the Golden Rule Number One of Marketing is to select a product name that means nothing in any language!

In the same hemisphere, as it were, but not just the Chinese, the French beat 'em to it decades ago.

Walking off the ferry at Le Havre as a youngster in the 60's, we saw huge posters advertising this stuff, which cracked up up.

I later found out that the Golden Rule Number One of Marketing is to select a product name that means nothing in any language!

And even making up words is not safe. A local health system went through rebranding here only to find out that the name that they were given (which isn't even a "real word" is a prominent brand of prophylactics in continental europe).

Well, I guess that's a given based even on the one I linked above. Diyarea isn't a real world, but it leaves a stain on the amazon listing, anyway.

The trouble there is that once you've read something wrongly you can't unthink it. I don't much like the music of Mary J Bilge.

fortunately, I've never heard the music of Mary J Bilge unless it's in the background somewhere and I wouldn't know what it was. Though I might have the thought at a store of "why do stores now think that it's important to blare pop music when the average age of a customer in the store is 50". But they know more about the people who buy than I do. I suspect there's a reason.

If I thought the seller of the hardening device had a sense of humor, I'd ask them if they had another "more solid line of tools, because I like reliability, even if their better line might not move easily".

Actual E-mail Addresses

1. Isabelle Haydon Adcock (Toys "R" Us) - [email protected]
2. Bradley Thomas Kissering (Brady Electrical, Northern Division, Overton Canada) - [email protected]
3. Ida Beatrice Ballinger (Ball State University) - [email protected]
4. Amanda Sue Pickering (Purdue University) - [email protected]
5. Barbara Joan Beeranger (Myplace Home Decorating) - [email protected]
6. Francis Kevin Kissinger (Las Verdes University) - [email protected]
7. Mary Ellen Dickinson (Indiana University of Pennsylvania) - [email protected]
8. George David Blowmer (Drop Front Drawers & Cabinets Inc.) - [email protected]
9. Martha Elizibeth Cummins (Fresno University) - [email protected]
10. Hellen Thomas Eatons (Duke University) - [email protected]

--
Domain Names

1. IT Scrap - Itscrap.com
2. Who Represents? - Whorepresents.com
3. Pen Island - Penisland.net
4. Experts Exchange - Expertsexchange.com
5. Speed Of Art - Speedofart.com
6. North Of Boston Jewish Singles - Nobjs.org
7. Go Tahoe North - Gotahoenorth.com
8. Les Bocages - Lesbocages.com
9. American Scrap Metal - Americanscrapmetal.com
10. Master Bait Online - Masterbaitonline.com
11. Therapist In a Box - Therapistinabox.com
12. Analemma Society - Analemma.org
13. Therapist Finder - Therapistfinder.com
14. Winters Express - Wintersexpress.com
15. Swiss BitSwissbit.ch
16. Dickson Web - Dicksonweb.com (now redirected to dicksondata.com)
17. Therapist - Therapist.com
18. Budget Cook Island - Budget.co.ck
19. MP3s Hits - Mp3shits.com
20. Kids Exchange - Kidsexchange.net
21. Choose Spain - Choosespain.com
22. Ben Dover - Bendover.com
23. Bitef Art Cafe - Bitefartcafe.rs
24. Powergen Italia - Powergenitalia.com (accessible only via the Wayback Machine)
25. Cumbria Storage Systems - Cumstore.co.uk (accessible only via the Wayback Machine)
26. Teachers Talking - Teacherstalking.org
27. La Drape - Ladrape.com
28. Children’s Wear - Childrenswear.co.uk
29. Mole Station Nursery - Molestationnursery.com (now redirected to molerivernursery.com)
30. Old Man’s Haven - Oldmanshaven.com

Robbo3
u got to much time on yer hands ....get back to work......hahaha.....
have a great weekend.....
me, gonna tear the workshop apart for a good tidy up.....
suns out n feelin good.......

Actual E-mail Addresses

1. Isabelle Haydon Adcock (Toys "R" Us) - [email protected]
2. Bradley Thomas Kissering (Brady Electrical, Northern Division, Overton Canada) - [email protected]
3. Ida Beatrice Ballinger (Ball State University) - [email protected]
4. Amanda Sue Pickering (Purdue University) - [email protected]
5. Barbara Joan Beeranger (Myplace Home Decorating) - [email protected]
6. Francis Kevin Kissinger (Las Verdes University) - [email protected]
7. Mary Ellen Dickinson (Indiana University of Pennsylvania) - [email protected]
8. George David Blowmer (Drop Front Drawers & Cabinets Inc.) - [email protected]
9. Martha Elizibeth Cummins (Fresno University) - [email protected]
10. Hellen Thomas Eatons (Duke University) - [email protected]

--
Domain Names

1. IT Scrap - Itscrap.com
2. Who Represents? - Whorepresents.com
3. Pen Island - Penisland.net
4. Experts Exchange - Expertsexchange.com
5. Speed Of Art - Speedofart.com
6. North Of Boston Jewish Singles - Nobjs.org
7. Go Tahoe North - Gotahoenorth.com
8. Les Bocages - Lesbocages.com
9. American Scrap Metal - Americanscrapmetal.com
10. Master Bait Online - Masterbaitonline.com
11. Therapist In a Box - Therapistinabox.com
12. Analemma Society - Analemma.org
13. Therapist Finder - Therapistfinder.com
14. Winters Express - Wintersexpress.com
15. Swiss BitSwissbit.ch
16. Dickson Web - Dicksonweb.com (now redirected to dicksondata.com)
17. Therapist - Therapist.com
18. Budget Cook Island - Budget.co.ck
19. MP3s Hits - Mp3shits.com
20. Kids Exchange - Kidsexchange.net
21. Choose Spain - Choosespain.com
22. Ben Dover - Bendover.com
23. Bitef Art Cafe - Bitefartcafe.rs
24. Powergen Italia - Powergenitalia.com (accessible only via the Wayback Machine)
25. Cumbria Storage Systems - Cumstore.co.uk (accessible only via the Wayback Machine)
26. Teachers Talking - Teacherstalking.org
27. La Drape - Ladrape.com
28. Children’s Wear - Childrenswear.co.uk
29. Mole Station Nursery - Molestationnursery.com (now redirected to molerivernursery.com)
30. Old Man’s Haven - Oldmanshaven.com
Some of those email addresses must be intentional, surely...
Very funny, though, if you have the mind of a seven year old, as I do.

Back