Chimpin' for Britain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
How the hell did this happen:

Shelf.jpg

I had already wrecked one side by getting the shelf-support holes misaligned.
I'm using the Trend jig.
So I was extra careful, even put markup lines where I wanted the holes to start. Extra careful with lining the jig up. Checked a lot.

And then this!

It's not a total disaster, after all this is the Le Bodge™ range for the French holiday home, and I'll just put some quarter-round in as the shelves will be fixed anyway - it's meant to be a spice cupboard.

But why? What did I do wrong? I'm bu****ed if I know...

Dick, I hope you don't mine if that raised a smile.

When you did the holes did you start at the top of one side and the bottom of the other perhaps?

Andy

Just guessing here because it's hard to determine exactly where the holes start and stop but, to me, it looks like you put the holes in the wrong side of one of the boards. If the distance from the bottom hole on the right to the bottom end of the board is the same as the top hole on the left the the top edge that might be the problem.

Brendan

Andy and I were posting at the same time and he has put it much better than me.

Brendan

The others have it I think, its out by the thickness if the shelf.

You are a bluddy silly person Smudger :wink:

But its real nice to know I'm not the only cock up artist here :lol:

Got it!

You measured the hole from the edge on one board but only allowed for the end piece when measuring the other

DAMHIKT :oops:

Yep. Off to Melvyn's for some ¼ round and dowel...

Could also be that I lost track of the orientation when rebating for the back panel.

I think that jig might be coming up for sale unless it sorts itself out.

Smudger":39txva68 said:
How the hell did this happen

Quite easily when you get to your age - it's called a Senior Moment :lol:

Probably won't happen again because when you come to use the Trend jig again you won't remember where you've put it....... :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Is that one of the "Alice in Wonderland" range of furniture where the closer you get to it, the less actual storage space there is inside it, but bizarrely you can stand up inside it?

I've worked it out.
When I came to rebate the backs I flipped one through 180º, so that the bottom became the top.
So having carefully marked top and bottom, I must have ignored it. Great. You try to help yourself...

Mrs S simply said "Stick some runners in. It's a spice cupboard in a holiday home..."
She has a point.

Anyway, glad to have lightened your days.

Dick, don't worry, I can easily beat that for stupidity, :lol:

http://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/po ... p?th=36981

fortunately no one will ever know apart from me and you. :wink:

I think these cock-up threads are some of the most interesting, certainly make me feel a lot better and you can learn a lot at someone elses expense. Trouble is, I could fill one by myself. :oops:

Usually a case of more haste less speed.

Cheers,

Alan

Back