Cherry storage unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Established Member
Reaction score
This is what I've been up to over the past 2 weeks... The client wanted something different for her office in Toulouse. She showed me some designs that she was interested in and decided to go for cherry which I found excellent to work with. I really enjoyed making this piece, especially the cutouts on the draw fronts which I reckon gives a more natural feel... finished in a clear oil and the doors are fitted with concealed Soss hinges.

[/img]
store3.jpg

store2.jpg

store1.jpg

Have a great weekend!!

Very nice design Russ. It's very similar to one I plan to make one day.

Only thing that lets it down IMO is the handles, especially on the doors. Not sure it works.

Only thing that lets it down IMO is the handles, especially on the doors. Not sure it works.[/quote]

I agree on the doors, theres just something not right - maybe they should be cut in bigger than the draw fronts?

Cheers..

Oohh I dont know about that wizer, i think they do work. Its the grain that makes them look out of place.

I like it a lot well done :D

Love it!

How about a thin contrasting strip of timber lining the handle openings? Say some walnut, or ebonised oak?

Anyway, I bet that was fun to make! Well done.

Mike

It was only a small niggle for me. I think your right they should have been larger to form a circle or more pleasing oval. Blister's idea of having them on the top is good too.

Didn't mean to be negative. I haven't got the ability to do something like this.

wizer":3oxccok2 said:
It was only a small niggle for me. I think your right they should have been larger to form a circle or more pleasing oval. Blister's idea of having them on the top is good too.

Didn't mean to be negative. I haven't got the ability to do something like this.

Wizzzzzer , your back :mrgreen: :mrgreen: \:D/ \:D/

wizer":ltbnecql said:

Not at all.. I feel the same about the doors.
And yes, more to the top would look better!!

I like this a lot, very nice work. :) I also agree with the comments on the door 'handles'; though, I think it works well with the drawers.

Is that French cherry? Doesn't look quite like the American stuff to me...

Nice piece, well executed. As others have said, the door pulls aren't subtle enough, IMO in contrast to the very pleasant, slightly curved underframe rail which works really well. Handles and pulls are always the most difficult thing on a project to get right and ought, in my 'umble opinion, to be understated rather than over played. The drawer pulls are the same size as the door pulls which again to me doesn't look right and both are too big, some careful (asymmetric maybe?) shaping here would have made them better. The other aspect which looks wrong to me is the proportion of the legs...far too chunky compared to the rest of the carcase work.
Apologies if any of this limited critique offends but as I've said countless times before, I'm more than happy for anything I produce and show to be given the same treamtment - Rob

I really like this piece and aspire to having the courage to do something similar. It's always the design that limits me in starting a project, not having the vision in my head and not knowing how it'll turn out until finished. I always move a project along quicker for other people who come to me and tell me exactly what they want.

Alan

It's not the kind of piece I would normally go for, but I'm actually rather taken by it. Probably slightly more subtle legs and handles would suit me, but I's be happy to have it in my house :)

Dave

Really nice piece of work, I like it but as others have already mentioned the door handles do not do justice to the overall project.

Harry

Very nice work, Russ. The handles work for me. Whenever I do handles I too often have that nagging feeling of "I wonder if I could have improved the handles...", but they're usually fine, as are yours.

Back