Cheese Board Woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, long story short. I made a cheese-board for a friend from some 'anonymous' hardwood.

I didn't put any finish on it, I only have teak-oil/danish-oil/beeswax/etc which would taint the food.

They put a selection of cheese on the board and the Brie left a black stain that couldn't be cleaned off.

Firstly, any ideas what is in Brie that would cause it (none of the other cheeses were a problem)?

Secondly, what's a good food-safe finish for a cheese-board?

TIA ... Mark

Not sure why the cheese might have left a stain. Possibly an acidic compound reacting with tanin in the hardwood? Do you have any idea or pictures of the anonymous timber?
Second question - I have always used Food Safe Finish from Chestnut for wooden food boards. It works and doesn't taint.

Adam

Oak will stain black with the salt in the cheese
could it be oak? Not a great idea to make a food contact item without knowing what timber it is.

You will no doubt know, Beech or sycamore is looked on as the safer bet for any foodstuffs,
The odd ones I've made have been untreated.
It would be interesting to learn what species you did use.
Regards Rodders

Take a look at Toymakingplans.com you will se a recipe for treating raw timber that is food safe and is a protection they use Beeswax and Mineral Oil Mineral oil is used by butchers to treat their cutting blocks
Ken

Latest posts

Back