Check my geometry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, after many challenges along the way I have finally completed this project. The wood colour tones didn't come out as well as I was expecting but I'm happy with the final result.

20230526_105926.jpg20230526_110007.jpg

OK, after many challenges along the way I have finally completed this project. The wood colour tones didn't come out as well as I was expecting but I'm happy with the final result.

View attachment 159938View attachment 159939
Fantastic to see it finished. They look great!
How did it go with the sawing accuracy? Did you need much tweaking as you assembled?

From beginning to end it was a freaking nightmare. It ended up in the bin once!

The exact dimensions have to be nailed from the start before glue up to less than a mm accuracy.
Cutting the trapezoid shaped sticks was the easiest part but glueing them together to make the triangle was problematic as the clamping pressure pushes the 3 elements away from each other. Multiple jigs were required.
When assembling the pieces all of the small errors started to compound and lining up the pattern became virtually impossible. I had to dis-assemble it several times and build another jig to allow me to trim every piece to a consistant size.
Glue up to the substrate had to be done in many steps as the pieces would move under the cauls if I tried to glue too many. I found this out the hard way.

Wow, so much discussion on something so simple where you could just draw it out with a compass on a piece of mdf and get all the info required.

Wow, so much discussion on something so simple where you could just draw it out with a compass on a piece of mdf and get all the info required.
You seem to be lacking a basic understanding but nevertheless, go ahead and have a try, I'd like to see your results.

If you were to make a single Hexagon your method would still be a 'challenge' - put 6 together and the problem is magnified 36 times (a guess!).

Absolute precision is required for this kind of project - <1mm is no where near close enough - I would be aiming for sub 0.1mm and still anticipate difficulties at glue-up!

The best accuracy I could achieve was around 0.25mm on my small Axminster table saw. I prefer not to risk mucking it up by letting myself use hand tools too much.

Back