Cheap Metal garden sheds.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I need somewhere to store the garden tools, a shed I can legally erect within 5 metres of my house.

Has anyone purchased one of these lightweight, metal panel sheds?
Are they okay for the money? Or should I avoid at all costs.
I like the look of this one, but I can buy cheaper versions, which look a bit flimsy.

http://www.ilikesheds.com/product/3779/ ... 13m_x_181m)

Has anyone bought a metal shed of any sort, and could they advise me please?

Thanks in anticipation.

John

My neighbour had one, it turned into tumbleweed at the first mild wind and he had to bolt it to the wall (after he'd straightened it out).

Then you have the condensation issues with a metal shed.

I brought one of these 2 years ago

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Palram-Skylight ... 6/p/147759

it is part metal part polycarbonate it has stood up to the weather and use quite well but it is tucked in a corner the main problem with it is it is a bit flimsy and makes a lot of noise when you open and close it also it is not tall enough and I keep hitting my head on the door frame. I also have a Keter plastic shed which has been in constant use for the last 15 years and I prefer it to the metal one as it is sturdier and quieter.

If I was buying another shed I would go for a Keter.

john

Thats the exact same shed as I have. Mine is 10 x 8 and has lasted very well apart from the roof has started to go. It comes with a 10 year guarantee (i think) and I contacted the company and said theres no way the roof is going to last that long and had to send them my receipt and pictures and they sent me a new roof as a goodwill gesture which was a bonus. Mine is solid but the doors are pants, you can push in at the edges of the doors and slide them past the catches which mean you could basically open the shed even if the two doors were padlocked together so I got some lengths of angle iron and riveted that down the sides of the doors and also I changed the cheap plastic handles and used some more steal angle iron to make two handles for me to padlock it, also I added another flip over catch thing at the top of the door to also padlock which means it is very secure. If you go down the route of getting this I can send you pics if you want to show you mine and how I secured it up? I should mention mine is bolted to the concrete base but like someone else said, condensation is a big issue so bare that in mind.

We've got a small metal shed at our static caravan as that's all the site management allow, I've had to really beef it up as they are so easy to break into, we haven't suffered condensation so much but that's due to it not being in the UK.
As woodchip2 said the ketter ones are good we have one at home for our youngest sons bike, we also keep a electric wheel chair and my granddaughters spare push chair in it, but again security is a issue.
HD

My experience of a metal shed was that it was very flimsy and needed beefing up considerably to be useful. I actually screwed a timber 'rail' to the inside at 3 heights - eves, mid and floor. If you want to hang anything on the walls this is essential since the walls are essentially a single skin less than a mm thick. Doors were also very flimsy and didn't slide well at all.

Steve

Thanks folks.

I have been thinking that the metal would be okay if it was stiffened by a substantial timber frame. Thus, I have decided to go to a metal cladding firm in the West Mids, and buy some box-formed cladding sheets. I'll put that onto a 2x2 pressure treated frame and roof with Onduline. The door I will make myself from decking, in a frame.

I can have windows too if I wish!

Thanks again.

John

Not directly relevant but I bought a 14 x 20 ( I think) WOODEN shed from Malvern Timber which is pretty sturdy, all tanalised wood and no sheet goods anywhere. T & g roof, 2 x 2 framework etc. The only issue was cheap roofing felt so I clad the roof with box profile steel sheet. The cost was about £1200 including delivery and erection, floor £90 extra and roofing sheets about £200. I think it is good value compared with a flimsy tin sheet thing. Of course there's occasional maintenance with preservative but at least it won't rust.

K

graduate_owner":ig00zui1 said:
Not directly relevant but I bought a 14 x 20 ( I think) WOODEN shed from Malvern Timber which is pretty sturdy, all tanalised wood and no sheet goods anywhere. T & g roof, 2 x 2 framework etc. The only issue was cheap roofing felt so I clad the roof with box profile steel sheet. The cost was about £1200 including delivery and erection, floor £90 extra and roofing sheets about £200. I think it is good value compared with a flimsy tin sheet thing. Of course there's occasional maintenance with preservative but at least it won't rust.

K
I would love to do just that. But I just spent four figures on an electrified recliner, to help me get back on my feet when I've been watching TV! :mrgreen:

About 15 years ago I brought a 10x8 metal shed with double sliding doors, it was delivered from Dublin to Hampshire, it said will be delivered in 48 days, I started concreting the base and after 3 days it arrived, it was flat packed.
I put it together on my own but the roof I made in one section then got my daughters to help put that on.
I is still going strong.
The door bearings broke a couple of years ago, I emailed them and asked where I could get new ones, in a couple of days they sent a set free of charge.
Sorry but can not remember there address.

Benchwayze":39rx0hz1 said:
I need somewhere to store the garden tools, a shed I can legally erect within 5 metres of my house.

Has anyone purchased one of these lightweight, metal panel sheds?
Are they okay for the money? Or should I avoid at all costs.
I like the look of this one, but I can buy cheaper versions, which look a bit flimsy.

http://www.ilikesheds.com/product/3779/ ... 13m_x_181m)

Has anyone bought a metal shed of any sort, and could they advise me please?

Thanks in anticipation.

John

We had a metal shed for a few years, £250 it cost at the time. Everything inside rusted and we lost 3 flymo's due to damp. I'm told the condensation issue is similar with plastic. Foundation was 4 large flags for the metal shed.

We've just replaced ours with wooden. Concrete is 3x2mx5cm and cost £186 delivered, DIY shuttering. The shed was £590, delivered and installed, we got something that made the "DIY retailers" offerings look like matchwood. It's very good quality indeed to be quite honest, I was surprised. I've been deliberately checking for condensation and aside from the first couple of days, seen none.

It's one of the best value purchases I've made in the last couple of years. It's more than your budget but you most certainly wont get more than about 10 years from a metal shed with good maintenance and I think thats optimistic based on our experience, whereas a reasonable wood shed, well looked after on a concrete slab with DPM and so on, might last you 40. My dads has and it'll likely do another 20 too.

Thanks Martin.
I have made a base from 3 x 2 tanalised with decking overlaid. Whatever shed I go for it will be fixed to that with a DPM underneath. The problem is that planning won't allow sheds within 15 metres of the house unless they are metal; one of the reasons I decided it might work if I clad with metal, and insulate with polystyrene. I do need space for the garden tools but I also want to put a GP bench in there for odd jobs, so 10 x 6 is as small as I can go.

Cheers
John

You are right about the condensation, I have put in a window at the side that I leave open a jar and I put an old tea tail across any electric parts, this seems to work.
I think your idea to line the inside would be good.

Latest posts

Back