ChatGPT - artificial intelligence.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can have the AI view on it :)

Are children being indoctrinated to exist in a world that won't exist in 15 years?

It is difficult to predict with certainty what the world will look like in 15 years, but it is important for children to be educated about a wide range of topics so they are prepared to navigate a constantly changing world. This includes learning about environmental issues, such as climate change, as well as developing critical thinking skills and learning about different cultures and perspectives. Additionally, it is also important for children to learn about technology and how it is rapidly advancing, as this will likely play a significant role in shaping the future.

Are children being indoctrinated to exist in a world that won't exist in 15 years?

It is difficult to predict with certainty what the world will look like in 15 years, but it is important for children to be educated about a wide range of topics so they are prepared to navigate a constantly changing world. This includes learning about environmental issues, such as climate change, as well as developing critical thinking skills and learning about different cultures and perspectives. Additionally, it is also important for children to learn about technology and how it is rapidly advancing, as this will likely play a significant role in shaping the future.
Still can't access (to ask a difficult question), >> server overload.
Thanks for posting the above Peri.

Sounds just what primary schools are teaching! 🤔🤣

I just tried it. Server overload and got presented with Javascript to keep me interested and sign up for when it will be available again.

Reading @Molynoox words though, means it does work.
I will try again soon as AI is a big interest for me, and where it might/will lead.
If you are interested in AI, have you tried out the latest AI art generators? Also very impressive.
I wrote about it on my blog
If you are interested I can find the link to the webapp I used to generate my images.
Martin

Those images are certainly interesting, puts me in mind of game graphics some years back. If you got to the playable limits the physics got a bit wobbly. Can't imagine it will take long for AI to catch up if it is fed enough information.
The thing I find most intriguing is whether/when AI will be able to make 'intuitive' predictions by applying existing information to novel situations

here is an example to help make the point:

View attachment 151629

clearly that is not simply recycling quotes from the internet as I have just made up that question - it needed to have a certain 'understanding' of the information in order to give me a specific answer for my specific question. So yeah... its pretty neat, and it might be able to pass some exams in many different subjects at many different levels
my opinion on all these AI things is we are better off embracing the technology and finding ways to work WITH it not AGAINST it because, like it or not, its coming and you wont be able to stop it :)
I couldn’t help but reply that the answer was wrong. That’s the force experienced by the car (caused by the wheels) not, as the question asked “we would feel…” (caused by the seat on your bum). The perils of poorly phrased ‘exam’ questions.

View attachment 151629

clearly that is not simply recycling quotes from the internet as I have just made up that question - it needed to have a certain 'understanding' of the information in order to give me a specific answer for my specific question. So yeah... its pretty neat, and it might be able to pass some exams in many different subjects at many different levels
my opinion on all these AI things is we are better off embracing the technology and finding ways to work WITH it not AGAINST it because, like it or not, its coming and you wont be able to stop it
I couldn’t help but reply that the answer was wrong. That’s the force experienced by the car (caused by the wheels) not, as the question asked “we would feel…” (caused by the seat on your bum). The perils of poorly phrased ‘exam’ questions.
I was typing the same thing when your reply popped up.

Of course if the AI considers itself a machine then it could have considered the “we” in the question to include the car

interesting (y) I didn't even spot the error, its been almost 30 years since I used any of those formulas, and probably didn't even understand it all that well back then either 😅

Martin

You'd compare exam results?
How could we know about a machine's sentience? Aren't they are either just 'on' or 'off' ?
a human brain is simply a sophisticated machine - they too are also either just on or off (unless you believe in a soul and all that stuff too, which I personally don't)
I don't see any constraint on AI / machines achieving the same levels of intelligence and sentience / consciousness as humans already have, its just a matter of time - there is nothing unique about the biological 'thinking machine' (like brains) vs the ones made with other types of materials (like computers), other than the artificial ones 'evolve' a LOT quicker :)

Martin

That chatbot and indeed all machine learning algorithms are heavily dependent on the training material, and in this instance they are hoovering up data from 'trusted' sources on the web and as one who does a lot of research, and lets face it we all do to some extent, the results from some perhaps naïve internet searches can often yield suspect or spurious results.
A while back I was following a software developer thread on this subject, and the discussion focussed on the ability of the tool to produce functional programs given a suitable set of instructions. The conclusion was that whilst for simple tasks the results were ok and sometimes good, the results for more complex tasks was incredibly poor.
I think this illustrates most peoples innate ability to filter and analyse data and also cognitive functions where we frequently do not allow our 'suspension of disbelief' to allow us to accept data/results without challenging whether they make sense or indeed are established fact.
For sure I think it is an interesting tech and no doubt useful for many use cases , however given the huge amount of dis-information out there it will require the user to exercise an 'enquiring mind' before taking the results as-is.
In my former career I worked on many complex systems that deployed this kind of tech - multilingual voice-to-text used for communications surveillance is a good example, and in nearly all cases these systems display biases inherent in the algorithms and training methodologies used.
A good example of this is the fact that a lot of the early surveillance cameras developed to perform facial recognition were heavily biased by the subjects race...

Browsing through the news yesterday I found an article about a band of teachers who'd formed a group, with the aim of sharing tips to stop students using artificial intelligence to cheat at exams.

Intrigued, I went to have a look at ChatGPT, to see what kind of answers it would give.

I asked it to explain the difference between climb and conventional milling.

A colleague suggested "What is the correct stance when filing and why?"

Another colleague asked "in milling, how do i work out the correct cutter rpm (in metric units)?"

One of our maths lecturers asked it a complicated question about two trains approaching each other on an incline, involving speed, mass, inertia and momentum.
The Chat explained what each property was, how to define it, the calculations used, and finally the correct answer showing all the working out.

The maths lecturer looked at me and shook his head - "Teaching, as a profession, is doomed" he said.
Possibly a bit dramatic, but I can see why the teachers in that group were a bit rattled :)
Considering the end product that "teachers" are apparently content to be churning out these days, one might think that the questions should have been along the lines of how to do their jobs better.

View attachment 151629

my opinion on all these AI things is we are better off embracing the technology and finding ways to work WITH it not AGAINST it because, like it or not, its coming and you wont be able to stop it :)
If that's a direct quote of the result obtained, it's interesting to note that one of the characteristics shared by AI and what passes for "natural intelligence" nowadays is an inability to spell... :rolleyes:

Yes but you could say that of many students struggling to cobble together an essay!
Given the right question would it recycle nonsense from the loony right (e.g. Jordan Peterson, Ayn Rand etc)? And would we be able to spot it?
Could be like sat nav which churns on intelligently giving out directions and suggestions, until it loses the plot completely and you are going around in circles?
We might not be able to spot it, but it will undoubtedly make (a little) more sense than the rubbish spouted by the loony left....🙄

are children being indoctrinated to exist in a world that won't exist in 15 years?

A friend of my son started a computing degree a few years ago, and told us that his lecturer said on the first day that everything they learnt in year one would be obsolete by the time they graduated, and their degree worthless within 5 years of graduating if they didn't continue to learn and study after graduation.

a human brain is simply a sophisticated machine
But is it, it is certainly a human organ that we really know little about in the grand scheme of things and is definately not just a collection of logic cells processing boolean algebra. My question has always been how can you get AI to mimic a human brain that we don't even fully understand and if you have AI that is just pure logic, that could be a very dangerous route to take if every decision is just black and white. Now you might think that taking out the human emotions will improve efficiency in decision making, it would but just imagine a world without human emotions where people caring for each other is no more. At the moment processor based systems just respond to data provided by various sensors / devices and can be extremely precise, but if you think of making a robotic human using AI then some big issues, how do you program love, grief or happyness into a computer !

If / when fully developed AI becomes a reality this would be the point of a role reversal, instead of the dumb computer being a servant doing repetative task AI would soon take the lead, capable of digesting vast amounts of data and making decisions that could lead anywhere. We are already starting to sow the seeds for change with the internet of things, IOT in that we are connecting more and more systems onto networks and providing remote control from multiple locations so albeit slowly we are moving in that drection and how long before AI would determine that humans are actually pointless, or only fit to serve AI ?

Back