Charnwood Spindle Moulder - Router Attachment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinsella

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Charnwood router attachment/ sanding drums will work with this SIP machince, SIP 01576

http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/r ... let?cid=25

They state it doesnt work with similar machines, but looking at them. They look identical, right down to the spindle and the shaft attachment.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 98
Hi, I have the 'Fox' version of this SM, it looks identical but the Charnwood router attachment does not fit it. I bought the Fox router attachment but I am not that impressed with it.
Hope this helps.

Scoffy
It helps in that i haven’t wasted money on buying something that doesn’t fit =D> . Do you know which bits don’t fit? i.e. is it that the shank is a different taper or diameter? or is it the fixing screw is a different size?

is the fox version you mention as per the pic I’ve just found? At £24 its pretty cheap, what exactly doesn’t work on it?. I was hoping to move from my home made router table over to the SM and with a router attachment the machine becomes more versatile.

Attachments

• 601051.jpg
    601051.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 74
Your picture looks like the Fox one, I can't remember why the Charnwood did not fit, but it certainly did not. My problem with the one I have is two fold: one there is not sufficient speed for a clean cut, and by fixing the attacment ti the top of the spindle it does not go low enoigh to be of much use, so the work has to be fed in on top of a packing piece.

Scoffy
Ta, that makes sense as i think the lowest the spindle goes is just below table top, so what you say makes sense. Which is why the Charnwood looks better as it replaces the spindle and is well below the table. Blow it!!! Can't understand why no one else makes a compatable version for these machines!! Missing a trick me thinks.
Thanks Scoffy, at £23 i may give it a go anyway but my expectations are low now anyway so can't be more disappointed.

Scoffy, one last thing. The pic i posted i assume its one piece and the photo is too differenct angles. the bolt fixes into the top of the spindle and the collet is threaded into the outer casing and a spanner tightens it down??

Back