Changing blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
As we all know there was a problem with FD blades last year and many of us stopped using them because of the unusual number of breakages. I switched over to Olsen blades, especially the mach spped ones. It took a little adjusting using the new blades but soon got used to their characteristics. However I am now looking for a new make of blades and will not be using Olsen blades after my current stock runs out.

The reason for this is that the other day I was working on a piece that was quite complex. I had seen the design and quite liked it, I don't normally make things like this and it was going to be a one off to show case at the craft fairs. I had completed 95 per cent and was coming to the final part when the blade broke as I was following a line on the pattern. I changed the blade for another number 5 from the same batch but when I started cutting again the blade assumed a cutting action that was completely different to the previous blade. This has happened several times in the past months and it's a problem I can no longer put up with, needless to say the piece was ruined, not only was it a waste of expensive oak but also a waste of two hours of my time.

Again, as we all know, Mike's workshop has been taken over by the Wooden Teddy Bear Company so I have written to them asking if they have encountered the same problem with FD blades as we have. If they tell me they have not received any adverse reports of the FDs breaking I will order a small number of them and see how they perform. I used FD blades for many years and found them to be the best blades i had ever used. The mach speed blades are equally as good with very few breakages but I cannot continue with the inconsistency of the Olsen blades. I should recieve a reply today to my enquiry and will let everyone know the outcome.

Hi Geoff, might this not be a similar issue to the fd blades, a bad batch? Has anyone else noticed this with the Olsen blades?

I have always found the Niqua blades from Hobbies to be perfectly good, I have tried others but not had much success with them.

I started using the Hobbies yellow blades when my FD blades ran out -- they were just OK but very cheap - then switched to Niqua branded blades -- just a little better and now using Pegas ---still just a bit better than the others.

On Friday found a pack of very old FD no 5's when moving Delta into garage---- wern't they great a bit aggressive but fantastic to use. Cut through 1 inch White Oak so easy.

I remember about 3 or more years ago Mike admitting that he had changed suppliers and I may be wrong but I thing that when the new suppliers stock got to the user problems developed---- so I don't think that The Wooden Tedy Bear will or can return to original manufacturer, but I hope I'm wrong

I think Stooby is probably right, I once had a similar wandering problem with a set of 2/0 blades, but the other sets from the same delivery were fine. I still prefer olsen blades and have stuck with them, as I honestly think that the occasional 'bad batch' will crop up no matter the make, and feel that out of the thousands of blades we use a dozen here or there is infuriating but likely.
I have spent a lot of money over the years trying different blades, and feel that it is a personal thing, though to be honest when I tried a good variety of FD blades after speaking to Mike about what sort of cutting I did, I was badly disappointed, I found them more difficult to use with a serious tendency to break,and left a lot of 'fuzzies'. Maybe they have fixed the problems now, but I am happy with the blades I use now.

Maybe a heads up for the less experienced cutter though, as at first it is totally bewildering and you can't think what you are doing wrong, sometimes it's not your cutting, it's the blade/tension/weird wood :lol:

I tend to use Pegas number 3's and 5's now for everything, I have got used to the way they cut and so far they seem consistent and work well.
Keep us posted Geoff
Brian
Ps any news on the Scrolling book Geoff?

jonluv":399yjhow said:
I started using the Hobbies yellow blades when my FD blades ran out -- they were just OK but very cheap - then switched to Niqua branded blades
O

Now I am confused? The Hobbies yellow label blades are Niqua branded. #-o

Yes the yellow packaged blades are made by Niqua but I think they are basic blades, Hobbies call them medium.

The White/Clear packaged blades Niqua blades appear to be a better quality and give a full range of blade types.

I think if less than 22mm pine is being cut ( or Ply) theYellow ones to me are OK

I have been using the Hobbies Yellow packet Niqua blades since the New Hobbies company was formed in 1969 and have never really had any problems using them in either a hand frame, treadle or scroll saw, the only time I have had trouble with blades was fairly recently when I decided to try FD blades that were widely praised in this forum, from the start I found using them so frustrating due to an abnormal amount of breakage. I did try some olson blades but TBH I found them no better than the Niqua ones.

I'm with scrimper on this I use the yellow blades from Hobbies that are Niqua blades and have not had a problem but I think that the way they list them on their website is confusing and that may lead to people thinking that the blades they are selling are not Niqua but they are. There postage cost for blades is also very fair.

Latest posts

Back