Chalk deposit in toilet pan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depend how bad it is. Vinegar will work if its just a bit but where we live we get actual rock forming in there the limesacle is so crazy.
I have resorted to industrial limescale and rust remover from screwfix, brilliant stuff, just a bit overnight every now and then sorts it out.

Ollie

I'm not sure it is always limescale. We have a water softener but we still have scale. I have even tried hydrochloric acid used to clean cement residues and the scale remains.

That is the point I was trying to make. I have soft water but still have scale. As acid won't get rid of it I doubt it is limescale.

cheap as chips white wine vinegar does it for our 4 toilets......
we push a mop down the loo to get rid of most of the water then just refill the pan with the vinegar......€3 x 5 lts.....
leave over night, job done.......
even used it to clean the st/steel heating coils in the solar water heater.....15 years old and not quite so good.....
change the vinegar every 24hrs for three days and now works great....
the stainless kettle gets 1/2 a cup of the vinegar along with ` pint of clean water, leave for a couple of hours for a clean kettle.....
or boil the water if u cant wait.....
ps please tell the wife, mine made a coffee with the solution......hahaha....

As others above suggest… but do not use HCL as you have no idea what gases it may release when dealing with the deposits, nor how it “ might” affect the soil waste path.

I was going to say exactly the same as Fergie.....Check the settings on your softener !
I don't need to check them, the water is soft, programmed for local hardness and counts the litres used before regenerating. I hate soft water as I spend forever trying to rinse off that soapy feeling. I can usually tell when it's about to regenerate and often set it off the day before.

I don't need to check them, the water is soft, programmed for local hardness and counts the litres used before regenerating. I hate soft water as I spend forever trying to rinse off that soapy feeling. I can usually tell when it's about to regenerate and often set it off the day before.

You mentioned "scale", so I assumed you were referring to limescale, hence why I suggested checking the settings and functionality of your softener.

Chalky deposits?.....Then, I have no idea!😁......I'd be more likely to suggest you check your diet.

You mentioned "scale", so I assumed you were referring to limescale, hence why I suggested checking the settings and functionality of your softener.

Chalky deposits?.....Then, I have no idea!😁......I'd be more likely to suggest you check your diet.
That's why I said scale rather than limescale. At a guess, I'd say it's uric acid but my chemistry isn't that good. My son never flushes and because we are remote and water is short, to my wife's displeasure I often don't flush for No 1s.

Dogs used to leave white poo's around years ago which was due to their diet, maybe you have a dietary issue . Limescale is not white but a very off white.

Kilrock is the best de-scaler I've come across. I usually use it in the caravan toilet waste container at the end of each year.
When I first came across it I could not believe how it could lift the 2mm thick scale build-up from th waste container on the 2nd hand van I'd bought. It did it with ease and the plastic looked like new.
The last lot I bought was on offer at B&M.

Colin

We have found that scale left in toilet bowls due to not flushing can be removed by using Sprit of Salts, I think this is the old term for Hydrochloric Acid, its vicious stuff and you must read the instructions, it gives off really nasty fumes and its not the sort of stuff to mess about with, but it definately works. Our local hardware shop stocked it and it was just on the shelf, which surprised me because I think it might be the acid that has been thrown in peoples faces? but it was there with all the cleaning products.
Steve.

Back