Smallest possible downstairs toilet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've fitted many toilets over the years both in the UK and where I live here in Spain as part of our construction business that I used to run here I since retired but I still keep my irons in the fire. I'm not up-to-date on UK codes and space requirements and so on but I'm a great believer in my house is my castle and I do what I want in it as long as it's safe so my attitude here is if you have space to stick a toilet and basin in then do so as long as long as it's all safe, outside window is nice. It's not custom rate. I would recommend a extraction fan and you don't actually need to install a hot water tap if plumbing is an issue for the hot water..

There are types of toilets that you can buy and even smaller sinks now it's only for washing your fingers and hands and if necessary, you can always remove some of the bricks in the wall and have an inset unit for the sink.

Journey to the toilet if you don't have access to the soil pipe then I recommend using a macerator again. They are very many different types now but just get one that will deal with the toilet waste and the waste from a basin. I do not recommend buying a Chinese one stick to a good brand they're not that expensive, but I would definitely say that you will have a problem with the macerator if objects other than human are dropped into it so if you have friends come round and so on perhaps have notice in the toilet about not pushing things down the loo other than human waste because I can tell you now trying to fix one of those is an absolutely horrible job and I think some of the guarantees certainly out here will exclude damage from tampons because that is the classic reason that macerators fail.

I believe now you can even get a macerator that will get down to as little as 25 mm pipe for the exit although I still believe is the best solution but they are brilliant machines they work really well and as long as it's a branded one, I don't think you would have any problems and I would say go for it. It's your house do what you want as long as it's safe, unless of course you're gonna be selling it a bit more about what you're doing :)

One dimension that I don’t think has been mentioned is the space between the toilet once fitted and the door, which is crucial when alighting from your seat! One leans forward as part of the motion as you need to put the centre of gravity above your feet, and to start off your big fat bit is right behind you, so you unthinkingly put your head and shoulders forward. If the door is in the way it all gets a bit complicated! (A friend put one in a tight space). It was more than inconvenient.
Stuart

One dimension that I don’t think has been mentioned is the space between the toilet once fitted and the door, which is crucial when alighting from your seat! One leans forward as part of the motion as you need to put the centre of gravity above your feet, and to start off your big fat bit is right behind you, so you unthinkingly put your head and shoulders forward. If the door is in the way it all gets a bit complicated! (A friend put one in a tight space). It was more than inconvenient.
Stuart
I'll confirm that this is definitely a thing to be considered. I built one a couple of years ago - 850 x 1250 and the first time I used it I realized that 1250 was somewhat 'sparce'.

It's no great inconvenience but less than that would certainly cause some problems.

Last edited:
Well there is even a solution for that, what if she could pee like a man ! A lot of female hikers use these

https://www.shewee.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIptT_y-W0hQMVX4xQBh30VA1HEAAYAyAAEgJWZvD_BwE

it makes peeing a lot easier when out and about .
With a wife, four daughters and five grand daughters believe me there is little that I don’t know about this and other female topics.
But at age 75 I think the missus has decided it’s time for more civilised options than squatting behind the garden shed or peeing in a bucket.

But at age 75 I think the missus has decided it’s time for more civilised options than squatting behind the garden shed or peeing in a bucket.
Yes the downstairs wc does seem a requirement, have you any nooks that could be converted and the wash basin on top of the cistern is not a bad idea.

I’m leaning towards a tiny toilet in the redundant cupboard space. Drain connection is the only complication - the nearby gulley type drain for kitchen wastes will have to be dug out and re-made.

If possible, take a look at some static caravan layouts. In my experience these include the smallest possible configuration for a single toilet.

Latest posts

Back