Chainsaw Woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that sounds a tad loose - mine is closer to 5mm, but not enough to account for your problems.

one thought as well as sharpening the teeth with the round file, you are remembering to also take the depth guages down with a flat file arent you - otherwise the saw wont cut however sharp the cutting edge.

you only reduce them a little bit , like one or two passes with the flat file each - as if you take them down too far they dont protect the cutting edge and it gets damaged and turned over at which point the chain is cabbage.

wizer":3g76dwz5 said:
I'll be investing in a proper Sthil or Husq

You won't regret it, Tom. I had a cheap chainsaw and spent most of my time sharpening the blade or trying to start it. Complete waste of time :x

I then bought a Stihl. Blimey, what a difference.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Spendy though aren't they Paul. But I agree. After watching Mark Hancock using his chainsaw last week, I know I need a proper chainsaw if I'm going to be continuing with my turning.

theres always ebay - but you do have to know a bit about them to ensure you get a good one not a used and abused one

also it depends on how spendy is spendy - a 230 with 14" bar is about 225 notes plus vat - my 361 with 18" bar was 385 plus vat i think (a couple of years back admittedly) (nb: these are prices from my supplier briants of risborough - they are several hundred quid less than list)

yes its a lot of wedge, but no more than we regularly blow on turning kit, or woodworking machinery.

Yeh I'm not denying they're worth it. Especially after using this Fisher Price jobby.

I was watching a couple on ebay, but didn't bid because I didn't know what I was buying. The only problem with 2nd hand is that I'd have to have an easy starter due to the back problems. I take it electric start doesn't exist on chainsaws yet?

not on little ones (some monstrous forestry saws have electric start but that isnt relevant here), some of the lighter stihls like the 192, 200, and 220 have what stil call "ergo start" which means that there is an extra spring in the recoil starter and it makes a very light pull ( I can start our 192 with hardly any effort at all - good when i'm up as tree)

Husquvarna have a similar feature but i cant remember what its called

I guess it's just not a required feature in this industry. Tho I'd assume it's not too expensive to add.

Its also because it adds bulk as you need the battery etc - and tbh most users dont need it.

I would suggest that you try out an ergostart (it used to be called elastostart) saw and see - but its as easy as a small saw gets.

Id say you should look at something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stihl-023C-Elasto ... 45f54f32ca

note - i'm saying summat like that, not that particular one which is being sold from berlin but with a uk collection which is a bit suss

Cheers Pete. I'll keep an eye out. As I say, I can't buy anything just yet as I don't know where we'll end up. But odds on I'll at least have a garden where I can put a shed for the lathe.

wizer":grkakdyy said:
Spendy though aren't they Paul.

Yes but they are so good that it's worth it. Mine has the ergo-start feature - makes starting very easy. And easy to adjust blade tension without any tools. And easy to get parts/repairs, etc should you need to. Actually, for what you get not spendy at all :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back