Battery chainsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
These have probably been covered elsewhere, but can't find a specific answer to my question. My cheap seconhand Hyundai battery chainsaw is getting a lot of use at the moment, so I'd been wondering about getting a spare battery. Seems they are no longer made for this saw, so beginning to wonder about replacing the saw as well. A Stihl would be nice, but at my age, not justifiable. Unfortunately, I'm locked in to old style deWalt batteries, so going to an entirely new range of better quality kit also isn't justifiable.
There seem to be quite a few Spear and Jackson battery saws advertised at what looks like a good price. Such reviews as I can find seem positive-ish. S & J were once in the "not bad" category. Anyone on here got any good or bad experience of this saw?

In passing, this conclusion to a very long review of the saw did make me smile;
> As you’d imagine there are lots of different products to choose from when shopping in the Chainsaws category. In face just some of our favourite alternatives include, WORX WG303E 40cm Corded Chainsaw reviews, as well as Babymel Satchel Changing Bag reviews. We also like Babymel Frankie Pixel Dot Changing Bag reviews<
Uh???

Can you post a pic of the battery label and the battery top showing terminals. Which Dewalt battery are you using? Are both 18v?

These have probably been covered elsewhere, but can't find a specific answer to my question. My cheap seconhand Hyundai battery chainsaw is getting a lot of use at the moment, so I'd been wondering about getting a spare battery. Seems they are no longer made for this saw, so beginning to wonder about replacing the saw as well. A Stihl would be nice, but at my age, not justifiable. Unfortunately, I'm locked in to old style deWalt batteries, so going to an entirely new range of better quality kit also isn't justifiable.
There seem to be quite a few Spear and Jackson battery saws advertised at what looks like a good price. Such reviews as I can find seem positive-ish. S & J were once in the "not bad" category. Anyone on here got any good or bad experience of this saw?

In passing, this conclusion to a very long review of the saw did make me smile;
> As you’d imagine there are lots of different products to choose from when shopping in the Chainsaws category. In face just some of our favourite alternatives include, WORX WG303E 40cm Corded Chainsaw reviews, as well as Babymel Satchel Changing Bag reviews. We also like Babymel Frankie Pixel Dot Changing Bag reviews<
Uh???
Do you have a price in mind as so many out there and can get corded pretty cheap and 2nd hand have to watch oil pumps as many just keep using without checking oil level so pumps run dry which kills em dead. (look at bar and chain bar can discolour and links(beneath chain)look very scuffed.

Many of these cordless devices that are bought in use someone else's or generic system.

Put some pics/details up and see if can find something

There are companies selling 3D-printed adapters for all sorts of battery<->equipment combinations. I'm running Bosch/Makita/DeWalt etc kit on the much cheaper Lidl (Parkside) range of batteries. The "big" (2*20v) Parkside chainsaw is cheap, surprisingly efficient, and quiet

I think what you are looking for is a cost effective solution. Great to see loads of practical solutions coming in and see a new range of adaptors appearing, albeit not cost effective. Can I assume the battery dies mid job away from the mains?
Simple solutions:
a) tea break and do other jobs on site and / generater recharge
b) as above and what I call "jump start" For this you need simply another 18v battery , fully charged and of good quality , 2 bits of wire and some tape. It really is as simple as the "jump start" we have all been using for years.
Your tool and for that matter the mains charger have safety circuitry to cut out below certain levels. By pass them: + to +, minus to minus , do it outdoors for safely and you should be able to transfer enough charge to regain a lot more work with 30 to 60 mins of Jump start transfer..
In the photography industry where I come from, Nikon etc have for years sold battery grips that jump a spare to replenish a depleted one in this way.

To clarify:
As far as I can tell, the Hyundai battery is specific to them. At least noone seems to have suggested a definite equivalent, but will get some pics to see if anyone recognises it.
Being a cheapskate, the S&J looked like a possible solution not involving adapters etc.
More research needed.

Pics if Hyundai battery and charger, in case anyone can suggest an equivalent.

Attachments

• Batt 1.JPG
    Batt 1.JPG
    441.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Batt 2.png
    Batt 2.png
    436.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Batt 3.png
    Batt 3.png
    545.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Charger.JPG
    Charger.JPG