Ceiling trough

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeenToLearn

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made one of these?

Have been asked to construct one in a 12'x12' room for a friend; I don't plaster so am thinking construct a lightish frame of 2x1 or 3x1 and then clad with thin mdf but am wondering if even that may sag mid span? What are your thoughts please?

Not sure what you mean by ceiling trough, if it is what I think you mean a search for the many types of cable trays might be an answer. Might be easier/cheaper to buy and fit one and paint it or cover with something more decorative.

I have put plaster board on stud work. Not sure why MDF would be easier.

Also the MDF will not have the fire resistance.

Ceiling trough- sorry should have explained- like a dwarf ceiling o project about 18" from wall and take concealed led strip like you see in restaurants?

I thought timber frame with thin mdf might be lighter? Not bothered about fire resistance as ceiling above is lath and plaster.

MDF is generally lighter than plaster board.

It is also likely to be considered to be flammable especially when dust collects.
You can get fire resistant MDF but I have no idea about its properties.
The lights may have to be safe when mounted on a potentially flammable surface.

Also the MDF will not have the fire resistance.
Nor will the plasterboard, if you look at the Hetas guidlines for a woodburner then plasterboard is classed as combustable, probably not because it burns but because it will not prevent heat passing through it. I will say that out of the two plasterboard is cleaner to work with, MDF is just an obnoxious filthy material that for some reason likes to return to it's natural state of being dust.

Nor will the plasterboard, if you look at the Hetas guidlines for a woodburner then plasterboard is classed as combustable, probably not because it burns but because it will not prevent heat passing through it. I will say that out of the two plasterboard is cleaner to work with, MDF is just an obnoxious filthy material that for some reason likes to return to it's natural state of being dust.
Plasterboard is used for its fire resistance.
Not sure what wood burning stoves has to do with this use.

Thats just it, it has limited fire retarding capability. If it is not allowed with woodburners then in a house fire it will soon be breached. I believe it is the gypsum that is the problem, what the stove fitters insist on is cement board, they won't even accept a brick chimney breast that has been overboarded with std plaster board.

But plasterboard is ideal for this vault if it is going to be plastered, if it is an ornate structure then MDF but there was an article on here about a vaulted ceilings. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...nstruction-for-beginners.132558/#post-1504007

Thats just it, it has limited fire retarding capability. If it is not allowed with woodburners then in a house fire it will soon be breached. I believe it is the gypsum that is the problem, what the stove fitters insist on is cement board, they won't even accept a brick chimney breast that has been overboarded with std plaster board.

But plasterboard is ideal for this vault if it is going to be plastered, if it is an ornate structure then MDF but there was an article on here about a vaulted ceilings. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...nstruction-for-beginners.132558/#post-1504007
I am not sure why you are bring up wood burning stoves. They give out far more heat than electrical lights.

Plaster board has a long history of being used in ceilings in which electrical lights are fitted. There must be a reason.

Plaster board is not used for making chimneys for wood burners. There must be a reason.

I've built a lot of these having worked for many years in hospitality construction. 18" is quite deep so without support from below, you'll need to conceal fixing from above. I'd build out a framework 5-6" deep down from the ceiling with a board finish. FR mdf decorates well and saves plastering but will be subject to cracking on the joins. Then a batten framework fixed below protruding your 18" and either plasterboard and skim or mdf. Again, mdf joins will probably crack over time. Might be worth considering the depth as 18" all around a 12' square room seems quite big. Less depth will mean less support needed.

Thanks COWS. I will go and have an exact measure up later this week and discuss having a smaller depth- what would you suggest? Only reason will be using mdf is that I do not plaster and getting a plasterer in will cost quite a bit more.

Thanks COWS. I will go and have an exact measure up later this week and discuss having a smaller depth- what would you suggest? Only reason will be using mdf is that I do not plaster and getting a plasterer in will cost quite a bit more.
I saw the other thread on the subject which you've replied to. What the guy there has done looks spot on so I'll retract my opinion on 18" looking too large. My experience is working in much larger areas.

PB and plastering would provide a better all round finish. If you do use mdf, maybe inform your client about the possibility of cracking joints. They might pay the extra for a plaster finish.

Back