CD player woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Do all modern CD players play CDs as gapless?

Reason for asking is that either the new one we bought just before Christmas has developed a fault ('cos it doesn't play gapless) or the CD player isn't designed to play gapless CDs ...and the CDs I'd been playing up until now hadn't shown this 'feature' up.

I think the gap feature is the player not the disc. As in my car you can adjust this or remove it completely. I'm not 100% thou?

Chems":12uvkbz4 said:
I think the gap feature is the player not the disc. As in my car you can adjust this or remove it completely. I'm not 100% thou?

My understanding was that it was both. The disc has to be mastered for gapless playback, but if the player doesn't support it then it'll play with gaps anyway. I have owned CD players which didn't do gapless playback, but none of the ones I've used in the last decade have been without it. I'd consider it a problem with the device if it didn't, just 'cause it's so common you should really be able to expect it.

I can think of a couple of specific examples of albums I have on CD where one song runs into the next, which implies that it's something that's encoded into the disc. In fact, I seem to recall at least one Pink Floyd album where there's no silence between any of the tracks at all!

Thanks guys. That is what I'd have expected.

JakeS....Dark Side of the Moon. and believe it or not was the disc I was playing when I suspected all was not as it should be with our new player.

Well, long story short. The Philips DCB852 player ..although costing well over £200...does not support gapless audio CDs. So it's being returned for refund.

Crikey, CD players — remember them?! My grandma had one I think. Next to the wireless.... :wink:

Latest posts

Back