Cash discount

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlightfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been successful in getting a discount for cash on new Sedgwick machines such as the T315Sawbench for example dealing with the manufacturers directly?

Ive never known this to happen with machinery, its most likely Sedgwick would ask where you live and refer you to a local dealer.

Ive spoken to Sedgwick on technical queries and have found them to be very helpful. They are of course a very rare thing now, a UK woodworking machinery maker.

kevinlightfoot":3kt8x1h5 said:
Has anyone been successful in getting a discount for cash on new Sedgwick machines such as the T315Sawbench for example dealing with the manufacturers directly?

Why would cash be deserving of a discount? I'm not tooting your horn, genuine question.

If you own a business you are charged for taking a payment by card or cheque, was 2.5% don't know what it is now, you are even charged to pay cash into your business account, is it any wonder that banks always declare profits every year no matter how deep the recession is.

Mike

Best place I found to buy is from D B Keighley in Leeds. He was cheapest by far....cheaper than Sedgwick direct and a nice bloke in general.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

A company that relies on generating sales from distributors / retailers would have to change its business model if it started to sell directly to the public at a price lower than its MRRP. The distributors / stockists need to make a margin in order for them to stock, distribute, demonstrate etc etc.

It really saddens me to see such a company suffering from what in my opinion is an abismal sales and marketing policy. They produce brilliant kit, but have no idea how to sell / market it.

I agree stores have to pay a charge to credit card companies, so why can't they offer small discounts for cash buyers,just thought I would ask the forum what they thought thanks for your replies I will let you know how I go on when I have saved a few more pennies.

If the credit card company suspects a retailer of offering discounts the retailer is liable to loose the facility, this would have a major impact on their telephone and on line sales.

Mike

MikeJhn":u8e0uhf5 said:
If the credit card company suspects a retailer of offering discounts the retailer is liable to loose the facility, this would have a major impact on their telephone and on line sales.

That certainly used to be the case, however I thought a few years back someone challenged it in court and the court found against the card companies. I know a lot of organisations, most obviously theatres an other venues put on a service charge for "paying by credit card".

Regarding Sedgwick, given the cost of the machines and the expectation that it's payment on receipt of invoice (90 days), it might be worth asking for a discount for payment up front - all depends on who you are buying from, as mentioned above.

Is it a B2B sale or retail?

Cash and cheques are also expensive to process. If you take lots of it you need a security company to collect it. Overall, costing up the processing of cash versus card, card charges are aligned to make it a no brainier for a company.

By the way, few if any credit card companies for any volume of transactions charge as high as suggested.

I've never come across a credit card company becoming interested in the retail prices set. No one is allowed to adopt policies that maintain, set or influence prices within a market, the most a manufacturer can do is suggest a Minimum Recommended Retail Price. (MRRP) to their customers that sell it on. You can of course set your own prices, but cannot interfere or influence any subsequent pricing policy of what happens to your product once you've sold it.

As a consumer, I prefer the additional protection I gain from using a credit card. (Minimum purchase for a single item varies to gain the full protection by different card providers I believe but its typically £100)

Debit card transactions get charged a flat rate, or at least ours did. It used to be 25p (in 2013), regardless of transaction size. Credit cards are another matter entirely and percentage based.

Cash cost us more to process (had to physically take it to the bank plus pay the bank to handle it..!) than debit cards. Hence my question :)

Sedgwick will not sell direct.

As for cash discounts, most sellers are not particularly interested. It involves additional work and risk banking I guess. Unless it helps to defraud the VAT- but I don't believe anybody does that :)

munkypuzel":atjkb7ii said:
Sedgwick will not sell direct.

As for cash discounts, most sellers are not particularly interested. It involves additional work and risk banking I guess. Unless it helps to defraud the VAT- but I don't believe anybody does that :)

I wouldn't suggest that at all.

To be clear, what I was saying was that credit (card, and payment on receipt of invoice ('on account', 90 days or whatever) has a cost associated with it and affects cashflow for the vendor.

Offering to pay up front (not notes and coins!) is offering something of value to the vendor, and it's reasonable to negotiate a discount as a result. But it couldn't be large, and it all depends on the businesses concerned.

Sometimes you can also do this in retail too.

Back