Cascamite in the cold

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mseries

Established Member
Reaction score
I've commented before about PVA leaving a white mark if used when the wood is cold. It's getting to the time of year when I try not to do any large jobs that I can't fetch into the house for the glue or paint to dry properly. Earlier in the year I bought some cascamite for my laminating project and I was wondering if it was OK to use in cooler conditions. How cool ? My unheated single garage in Yorkshire. It doesn't drop as low as 0 C as my water bottle doesn't freeze. If it only takes longer to cure/harden then that'll be fine.

From the cascamite MSDS:
NOTE: - At temperatures below 1 10C (5OF), a period of up to 2 or 3 days may be required before the glue sets. During cold weather, it is therefore essential that joints under pressure be kept in a warm place.

Gel Time Guide:

20° C 30°C 70°C 100° C

1-2 Hr 30 Min 1.5 Min 33 Sec

Coverage should be 100 to 250 grams/sq. metre

How big is the project? Infrared strip heaters can work quite well to keep your work piece warm whilst in clamp if you're unable to heat the workshop, its a bit risky gluing up in the cold.

mseries":2j8mpz78 said:
I've commented before about PVA leaving a white mark if used when the wood is cold. It's getting to the time of year when I try not to do any large jobs that I can't fetch into the house for the glue or paint to dry properly. Earlier in the year I bought some cascamite for my laminating project and I was wondering if it was OK to use in cooler conditions. How cool ? My unheated single garage in Yorkshire. It doesn't drop as low as 0 C as my water bottle doesn't freeze. If it only takes longer to cure/harden then that'll be fine.

My workshop is heated but on a very cold day it can be 10-12 degrees C for most of the morning. I often use UF glues and I when I've finished the glue up I put a dollop and a smear of the glue on a piece of scrap. I never remove the cramps until the smear is hard, and ideally not until the dollop is also hard. In the very coldest conditions it can take 36-48 hours for the dollop to set right through, but it always gets there in the end!

Good luck

Latest posts

Back