Cascamite. Is it my incompetence or the product duff?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incidentally, you used to be able to get a rapid hardener for Cascamite. I THINK it was phosphoric acid, formic acid being the hardener for Aerolite, though it might have been the other way around. I remember interchanging the hardeners and both worked, but I had no way of finding whether the joint strength was affected.

Conversely, I needed enough open time to spread the glue across 32 sq feet and get some screws in to pull it together. Cascamite tech support suggested that I chill the water in the fridge before mixing to slow it down which I duly did.
Same principle as cooling the resin and chilling a metal mixing bowl when you want to extend the open time of epoxy resin.

When I've mixed up the stuff, I follow the directions on the tub with a degree of precision.

Iirc they are by volume. I use one of my partner's kitchen measuring spoon things.

Anyone used to working with epoxy resin knows that you can't be slapdash with the quantities, otherwise stuff goes wrong.

I wonder if a bit of the "blame" with the product is not getting the mixture spot on?

Anyway, why have I used it in the past -

Strong, gap filling, open time, and waterproof. But mainly gap filling. Things like end grain chopping boards. The glue seals up the joints very nicely.

I used to use Cascamite for most of my glue-ups, back in the day. You had to be really careful on hot days as the open time was greatly reduced. Gluing up a Victorian style panelled door could be quite a challenge, as, by the time you were putting the wedges in it could have turned to a stiff, rubbery jelly.

A way to cope with these shortcomings, was to have everything prepared and ready beforehand; to use cold water; to mix up at the last possible moment, and to have plenty of extra wedges, cloths and pan-scourers to clean up the excess glue.

Before the introduction of PU glues for joinery, this gluing up ritual would take place at the end of the day. This left the night time for the glue to properly set. The first thing, on entering the workshop next day, was to remove the cramps and check the work over This happened, even before the kettle went on for tea.

I wonder if a bit of the "blame" with the product is not getting the mixture spot on?
I think that may be the case with a percentage of people mixing it but my experience of Cascamite not including my more successful recent use of it, is that it did go through period of being an inferior product. Unfortunately I think many have already moved over to other producers of UF powders so they will have to revert to some marketing ploy to get customers back. I for one have no preference over which manufacturer I use so I base what I buy on price/availability.

Well that was a total waste of time!
After spending all of yesterday afternoon preparing the boards and gluing with the "glue you can trust"and clamping and leaving for 19 hours, this morning I opened up the workshop to check the work. all looked well as I pushed the first board through the thicknesser but after two passes I noticed a gap at the end and by slight pressure I was able to just pull the two boards apart on the glue line.

I have been gluing up panels like this for many years using PVA indeed I have also used the cheaper thinner PVA bond and not had any problems like this, I have even made Youtube videos showing the process so I don't think it's down to my incompetence.

I decided to give Cascamite a try after reading how good it was supposed to be but I think I made a mistake doing so.

I have sent my complaint to the manufacturers I will let folk know what they reply.

Attachments

• IMG_20221123_113316.jpg
    IMG_20221123_113316.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221123_113521 mod.jpg
    IMG_20221123_113521 mod.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just an update on my Cascamite woes.

I have had some nice reaction with the technical director of Polyvine who make Cascamite and although they confirm the batch I have has been thoroughly tested and should not give any problems they are going to send me another tub plus a container of their Cascarez resin wood glue as well.

From our correspondence it appears that my mix was too runny (it was like Milk) whereas he says he should be sticky, more like Golden Syrup when mixed.

I did mix it as directed but obviously I need to add a little more powder next time.

Once you have a feeling for the right consistency, it's easy to replicate it w/o measuring, in two stages: half the water in the tub, add powder with stirring for a stiff mix; add more water till the runniness is right. Bingo!

Anything that you have to mix is more wasteful than 'ready to use' options, because there's always some left over ...

Straight after assembly, clean up work and tools with hottish soapy water ...

Back